Discuss vaillant ecotec no heating just water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
now you mention it i think i can remember the tutor showing us how these thermisters are tested im just struggling to remember the process.

On the thermistors what does ntc mean and how do i test this I have an auto ranging test meter but im unsure what to do & do i still test this with no power on.

NTC - Negative Temperature Coefficient (Resistance decreases with increasing temperature)
PTC - Positive Temperature Coefficient (Resistance increases with increasing temperature)

Thermistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best to test the thermistor out of circuit i.e. with the wires/leads to the PCB removed. Otherwise you may be measuring other stray resistance.
You place your multimeter in resistance measuring mode (usually kohms) and touch the 2 multimeter probe tips either way round across the thermistor terminals.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can it be the thermistors if it works in test mode?

NTC - Negative Temperature Coefficient (Resistance decreases with increasing temperature)
PTC - Positive Temperature Coefficient (Resistance increases with increasing temperature)

Thermistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best to test the thermistor out of circuit i.e. with the wires/leads to the PCB removed. Otherwise you may be measuring other stray resistance.
You place your multimeter in resistance measuring mode (usually kohms) and touch the 2 multimeter probe tips either way round across the thermistor terminals.

Thanks for that I believe the customer has had a battle of wills with his wife over ownership of the switch one turns it up and the other turns it down I think that may be the problem ta..I will get back to you when ive been tommorrow.

To be honest with you mate, any combi's with no ch but hot water will most likely be an external control fault. Thermistor's rarely fail (with the exception of Ravenheats). It won't hurt to test a few when you go to the next boiler though, set your multimeter to ohms (the Omega style sign) and connect your leads to the prongs as described above. NTC you will see the resistance go down as temp rises and PTC the opposite.

Is this open to anyone? I thought the GSR forum was for those only registered? Not going to cause any serious issues testing a thermistor with a multimeter though I wouldn't have thought?

check thermisters on ch side are ok also
flow turbine and diverter
its an ecotec only one thermistor/NTC
if the little radiator sign comes up then check the pump, it may no longer be strong enough to pump around the heating circuit, but enough to do the hot water

if there's no radiator sign then its not registering call for heating and could be pcb

Last edited:
Hi guys just a question
In regard to the heating control on this boiler im back tommoz to confirm the swith is fubard so if its not working at all and i remove the link between 3-4 and connect an external programmer will this overide the control on the boiler as the manual does not explain clearly enough either that or im too thick to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to vaillant ecotec no heating just water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 boiler and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. The Problem: Heating...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
Hi, i've got a job with a Vaillant Ecotec 630 system boiler, and i don't know the full history but the house has definitely been extended...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock