Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Vacant house issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnmit

Hi I just bought a house which gas stood empty fir 2 years. The old owners renovated the place in 2009 completely bug moved out leaving it complete empty. I was wondering what should be the first thing we do with the heating system. The circulation gad nit run for thus time. I bled the rad a bit and rust did not come out so I guess that is good. It smelled of inhibitor. Should I get the whole system drained and jetted? The boiler is fairly new bot not fired up in a couple of years. What is the hope it is still ok. Is there anything else to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum's johnmit......only one thing for it really get a professional in and have it checked over and certified safe and fit for use best now rather when all the new carpet's etc are in place .....regards Turnpin. Checkout the I'm looking for a plumber /gas safe engineer for someone on here who may be nearby....

Thanks turning. I was intending to do that. I like to know what is likely before calling in the pros. I once gotctakenvfor a ride by a popular big name gas service so I like to have an idea about what to ask for.

As mentioned get a full safety check service done on all gas appliances firstly.
If all ok with boiler and appears running fine I would just drain and refill system a few times and add fresh inhibitor.

Thanks for the advice How would I know if it has inhibitor in? Maybe a daft question but I'm a new.

your main concerns are any mechanical equiptment on the system,this needs checking once system started up,as could over heat and burn out if operation incorrect
The other concern are any seals on the boiler,that maybe compromised,best get an engineer in to re commision

I intend in getting an engineer I want to know what should I insist on I don't want them to a tempt to restart the system and suck lots of cap into the boiler. How can I check that the circulation water is ok. How do I know if there is inhibitor. I have had cowboys before who have screwed things up I want to know the correct sequence to do in the situation where the whole system gas been offline for 2 years.I do not intend to do this myself at all but I want to know what I should expect the engineer to do and in what order. Thanks

The cost of inhibitor is diddly squat compared to what else could go wrong.
What would I do?

Check electrically all components
Isolate Boiler, drain, flush, pressure test and refill system, adding in a boilermag if one (or similar) not fitted
Get the boiler checked over by a gas-safe engineer
Check operation of all heating controls without boiler switched on.
Fire up system
Balance rads
Check for leaks
Fix any faults as you find them in the above as you go

No more apart from the drain down than involved in commissiong a new system...

http://www.centralheating.co.uk/sys...ioning_Checklist___Service_Record_V2_0409.pdf

As for cost.. go to Looking for a Plumber ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vacant house issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. We have had two leaks at home in the last 2 weeks; luckily we were in for both events and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock