Search the forum,

Discuss Tundish on unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have recently fitted a Telford Tempest Hot water cylinder, heated purely by 2 immersion heaters.

I have fitted it with the required 'blow off' piping which includes a small Tundish.

Obviously, the Tundish needs to be open to the air, rather than fully enclosed, but if you test the pipework by releasing the pressure valve, water splashes out of the Tundish. As all the electrics for the immersion heaters are in the same cupboard, can you get a cover for the Tundish that would simply direct the water downwards and not allow splashing sideways ? I was think of something like the plastic 'collars' that vets supply to go round a dogs neck to stop it scratching but a bit smaller !

Thanks, Graham.

If you have the relevant qualification to fit an unvented cylinder you will know the answer, if you haven't please put the area you live so we can avoid that area.

Might be the way the D1 piping is piped up are you G3. I would always expect a bit of spillover when the safety valves fully discharge

Welcome to the forum graham, you should be aware that to install & maintain hot water systems you need to show your competence by obtaining what is often called a G3 or un-vented ticket.

Not to do so is against Building Regulations Part G so you will forgive us if we are not forthcoming with information as to do so could encourage those who haven't obtained theirs to work on these systems.

If you alter or adapt the supplied Tun Dish without knowing what you are doing then you may well breech not only the Building Regs but also the Water Regs as it is designed to maintain a type AA Air Gap.

I am a competent engineer that fits water, electricity and gas into the properties I renovate to rent. I always get them inspected afterwards to provide me with the appropriate certificate and have never had a single negative comment about any of my properties, in fact I usually get comments that I've gone overboard in ensuring compliance.

I could join a "competent person scheme" but I don't do enough to warrant it, hence paying a third party to inspect my work is more effective for me.

So does my situation mean that you will not offer any advice ?

Graham.

Competent engineer in what? So what you're saying is you are neither Gas Safe and work on gas and not G3 registered and install unvented cylinders You my friend are an illegal accident waiting to happen and no you won't get any assistance from us in line with the rules of the forum. Can you not see that what you're doing is illegal?? I'm out

You've signed your death warrant there Graham. You're clearly not qualified to install or work on unvented hot water systems.

If you pay a third party to do your 'sign off' then I suggest you get value for money from them instead of trying to blag answers from us.

I pity your tenants.

I'm not going to argue but if you read what Building Regulations define as a 'Competent Person', it is not somehow who has a 'tick in the box', but someone who can work to an acceptable standard. That is not illegal; it would be if I rented out a property without the relevant certificates, but you will find that rental agents are very hot on those.

I have employed 'qualified' workman before, who can brandish a certificate and have been appalled at the quality of here work.

What I don`t understand is ....... if you`ve done several properties and then had others sign it off as safe why hasn`t this situation come up before?

(I have no other input to this thread)

I also find it interesting that I have several 'Gas Safe' people who have worked with me before and they are all happy to work with me again. Not a single one has criticised my work nor believes I am taking their business from them.

Mr. Moderator, if you beleive I am out f order, I will delete my account.

Are you confident enough to post some pictures of the unvented cylinder installation?

You may well have Gas Safe people you work with but that certification has nothing to do with working on an unvented hot water system. You will also know that you do not need a certificate for your tenants and your Rental Agents will know that as well.

All in all you really do seem to be confusing very different disciplines which does say a lot about your underlying knowledge.

The gas safe people are risking their registration, reputation, livelihood among others and they are also putting tenants lives at risk. Why somebody would put their name to someone else's work is beyond me. You are just trying to cut costs and cut corners and you are just putting people at risk and I can guarantee in a court of law you would not be deemed competent

The forum 'thug' will be along later. Might get some strongbow on the way home and some popcorn. Probably be a short and shrift response though.

On another note. It would be good to see you in court arguing your idea of competency :) Also you are incorrect in your assumption that you could just 'join' a competent person scheme. Which is probably why you have not.

I agree that you should post a few photos of your unvented cylinder plumbing, if you are confident it is to building regs and all going to be approved.
At the very least, plumbers here can give you the thumbs up, or thumbs down on your work. You can't just be given detailed advice on it.

Have a feeling we're not gonna hear back

"Honest, guv, I'm competent." Is neither a measure of competency nor would it stand up in a court of law should it come to it.

Part G of the Building Regulations and the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, amongst others, perfectly describe what constitutes a competent person.

Every month in the gsr magazine we see those with the same attitude as you receiving either fines of tens of thousands of pounds or even custodial sentences. The gas engineers you say you use to check your work are also acting illegally as has been previously proven through the court of law.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for exposing your tenants to potentially dangerous workmanship.

I hope you get hung out to dry.

And I'm still watching this thread.

"3.40 The safety and performance of an unvented system is dependent on the choice of system and safety devices appropriate for the location and correct installation of the system. Building owners and occupiers should therefore take care to choose installers who have the necessary skills to carry out this work. These skills can be demonstrated for example, by registration with a competent person scheme for his type of work or by the holding of a current registered operative skills certification card for unvented hot water systems."

I am posting this section of Building Regulation Part G 3 not for grahams (OP) benefit because people like him will not worry about breaking the Law in search for a profit.

It is posted for others who at a later date who may read through this post & think that somehow they are allowed to do as he does.

Last edited:
But he'll carry on thinking that he knows best and all we're trying to do is prop up the industry. I do hope that he realises that this thread is visible proof that he undertook work which he was not qualified to do and that should anything happen, God forbid, to his tenants he will be hung out to dry.

Skin flints like him ruin peoples lives.

Last edited:
He doesn't care he'll carry on. I wish we could find these people

oh and if he does come back and asks for this thread to be deleted, he will be sorely mistaken.

Prison cell is that what the kids are calling it these days

"I'm competent" and "can I fit a dog collar type thing" are contradictory
They do work and rent out properties, not acceptable to deem themselves competent, must be Gas Safe Registered for the gas work and G3 for the unvented
If you are so confident and competent post details of the gas engineer who inspects your work and confirm whether they sign it off (which is illegal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tundish on unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock