Search the forum,

Discuss Tundish on unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to do a report for a customer on a poorly installed cylinder today:

D2 pointing straight out of the house so if it ever discharged a passerby would be scalded.
No tundish fitted
Expansion vessel attached on one side
2 port valve fitted backwards on the flow side, arrow pointing against direction of flow
Immersion not wired in
Cold water supply off 15mm pipe giving a total of 14 litres a minute
List goes on

I de-pressurised cylinder and turned off cold water supply. Advised customer not to use until problems were rectified. This is one of the many reasons why unvented cylinders have to be installed by a G3 qualified engineer. It was clearly put in by someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing and the danger they could put people in.

Simon,

Do you think I have nothing better to do than appease you. I have a photo and will post for you to pull apart at your leisure. I hope that all of you who post immediately after me are not charging your clients when you're not working but browsing on your phones.

His mam and dad must only let him have 15 minutes of internet at the same time each day.

Simon,

Do you think I have nothing better to do than appease you. I have a photo and will post for you to pull apart at your leisure. I hope that all of you who post immediately after me are not charging your clients when you're not working but browsing on your phones.
Not really the point though is it mate. You are the one that is flaunting the fact that you are illegally installing gas and unvented cylinders. And seem unable to see or are unwilling to admit that what you are doing is wrong. You have also ignored us asking why you deem yourself to be competent and why you think you are above the need to register with a body as we all have to. We spend a fortune on on our registrations etc only to see that undercut by people like you

Mr. Moderator, I find that your members seem to be intend on posting levels of personal comments that are nothing to do with plumbing, surely that must be against the forum rules of conduct ?

Simon,

Some people are good enough at their job to not have to toil for hours every day. Have you never heard of the term 'Work smart, not hard'?

When you do get around to posting a picture, it would be very nice to have a piece of paper next to it with your name on it. We've had many people on here using photos of the Internet. Not saying you would do that of course.

I'd also be very interested to see your building notification or benchmark certificate as well.

We've been wrong on here before and would like nothing better to see someone prove us wrong. Don't happen often mind.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

:dots:

Left house 9am & back at 2pm that`s my days work done. 1 service, 1 blockage removed and 1 new unit fitted.

Time for a cold one me thinks.

Toddle pip Graham.

Mr. Moderator, I find that your members seem to be intend on posting levels of personal comments that are nothing to do with plumbing, surely that must be against the forum rules of conduct ?

Send out the search party............looking for big pink dummy.

This could be interesting later, personally I reckon you were given sound advice at the start and since then you`ve just been digging your own grave.

Howsie,

Pictures attached. I have no problem with using Building Control to inspect my work as I have done that before with my electrics.
You will note that the installation is not live yet as the immersions heaters are not connected and there is a stop end on the drain off.
I can describe the installation in great detail to show it's mine.
Constructive feedback is welcome, but not un-constructive comments.
P1050682.jpgP1050682.jpg

Sorry, talking out of my arris. The orientation of the group inlet confused me!

Last edited:
The service valve if closed will isolate your group inlet from the cylinder thereby disabling the expansion relief and expansion vessel. If someone was to turn the service valve off the cylinder can still be heated and you've disabled an essential safety device.

Last edited:
Expansion vessel also works a lot better upright as advised by manufacturers. Not sure that building control would sign off on something not installed by a qualified individual

Least he's used a bender :)

Expansion vessel also works a lot better upright as advised by manufacturers. Not sure that building control would sign off on something not installed by a qualified individual

+1 and they like to breed legionella on their side, no way to fully drain the vessel.

Not as bad as I feared but certainly not done right. Either way, your not qualified to work or install these things so why break the law?

You're electrics seem better that some of the sparkies I've seen though.

Not as bad as I feared but certainly not done right. Either way, your not qualified to work or install these things so why break the law?

You're electrics seem better that some of the sparkies I've seen though.

What do you think about the service valve after the group inlet? This is contrary to regulations and is a big no-no for good reason. If the service valve is closed you've disabled a safety device and the expansion vessel too, leaving the T&P valve as the only safety.

I take it you can't solder? All the soldered joints look like recycled pipe.

Not to regs and just goes to show you shouldnt be touching stuff you are not competent to do so.

Iso on cold feed after expansion.
No drain on cold feed, not that I can see anyway.
D1 will always be an issue. Needs repiping.
How longs D2?
Expansion vessel orientation wrong.
No insulation.
Not competent to install.
Doubtful electrics are yours, wouldnt have been in conduit.
Notify building control prior to install?

Mind you after the bull you've posted it would have had to be outstanding to not get shredded.

Message to the rest of the world:
Employ competent tradesmen and dont put the lives of yourselves and others at risk.

Stay safe out there.

Howsie,

Pictures attached. I have no problem with using Building Control to inspect my work as I have done that before with my electrics.
You will note that the installation is not live yet as the immersions heaters are not connected and there is a stop end on the drain off.
I can describe the installation in great detail to show it's mine.
Constructive feedback is welcome, but not un-constructive comments.
View attachment 25932View attachment 25932

Also how can we be constructive when you shouldn't be doing it in the first place you struggle to be able to grasp this concept. Whether you like other the tradesman's work or not is irrelevant that doesn't give you the right to put other people's lives at risk by doing it yourself

I think this thread has run its course. We don't support diy gas work or unvented hot water work. End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tundish on unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock