Discuss Toilet syphon replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,
Need to replace my toilet syphon in an armitage toilet. I measured from the bottom of the internal cistern to the very top of the syphon. This was roughly 275mm which is pretty much 11". Is this the size I need to buy? They come in all different sizes 7,8,9 (litres or inches).
It is a 9 litre cistern (water level is st the 9 litre mark). I don't want to order a 11" syphon to find I can't get the cistern lid back on.
Other options I see are to replace with a fluidmaster or a Dudley turbo 88 which are adjustable To me it depends on the lever action on the handle, surely this dictates the size of syphon.

Thanks for reading:)

but get the adjustable one will cater for any level

If you had have fitted a lower syphon (sometimes if no overflow fitted) and the wire link was then too short, you just need to replace with a longer link. I keep a few brand new and second hand stainless steel links as spares.
Just be careful if your Armitage toilet is the old type, as it might be double syphonic and have an Airex screwed to bottom of Syphon.

Good point, the dreaded Syphonic toilet.

I have an Armitage Syphonic toilet in my own house which is over 40 years old. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the small Airex washer a couple years ago.
I like it and prefer the internal bowl part in pan because it is raised.
But very easy for someone unaware of what type of toilet it is, to remove the cistern a little and snap the Airex. Armitage loos must have an Armitage syphon to go with their brand of Airex, because it has a slightly wider diameter. The smaller 8" Armitage syphon will also work fine.
If I was the OP, I would just repair the original syphon. Just usually needs a washer. I rarely have to replace syphons, although the 2 part are handy for the future

Last edited:
The rolls royce of toilets the syphonic. Even better is the fact there are few people who know how to fix them :)

The rolls royce of toilets the syphonic. Even better is the fact there are few people who know how to fix them :)

Very true. That's what I love to work on, - something most plumbers and diyers don't/won't work on and then I look like I am an expert!
:smug: £££££
It is about time I charged plenty for such jobs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet syphon replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
I have a cracked close coupled toilet cistern. It's an Armitage Shanks Tiffany 9776, which I believe has been discontinued. The water feed is on...
Replies
Views
ScotsLaddie
S
Hi all - Our toilet has got very difficult to flush. A couple of very quick goes on the handle will do it sometimes, but not others! So we are...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently fitted a brand new Macdee syphon into a toilet and 4 weeks later it is broken at the nut which allows it to be serviced. When...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I repaired my parents 35 year old toilet with a Dudley Turbo 88 and Syvac aspirator. It's started leaking from the donut I think...
Replies
Views
Back