Search the forum,

Discuss tiling around a new shower installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonytimms

Not sure if this is in the corrtect forum but when tiling around a new shower installation what is the difference between applying cement to the back of the tile or to the wall? The cement I have says apply it to the wall and not the tile. Does it really make a difference?

Regards

It definately does but I'm trying to remember why. They did tell me on my course, apart from the fact it's easier to get the tiles nice and level I think it's something to do with air, the adhesive gives off air as it sets which is why you use a notched trowel, so the air can escape, if you apply it onto the tile and then stick to the wall, this does not happen so easily. I think that's why, but a tiler may come along and say thats balls

No, I am using ready mixed cement. Does it make a difference?

Regards

In my experience BAL is fine for that as long as you pick appropriate one, I steer clear of most others.

No, I am using ready mixed cement. Does it make a difference?

Regards
yes it takes ages to dry and isn't waterproof. i had to change a built in shower which required the removal of two tiles they popped off too easily because the "tiler" had used tubbed. i could even reuse the old tiles just soaked them in hot water and the addy dissolved! also you have to wait for a couple of days at least before grouting, with powdered you can grout the next day.

Bal do a tubbed adhesive which is designed for this application. Can't remember which colour, but tilers shop would inform you. In general steveb is right they are pretty useless from a tub, but I've had no probs with this one.

BAL Whitestar or the Grip.

Depends on the tile, tile size, substrate etc if you butter the back of the tile or not. I have some slate to do next week, so it will be notched on the walls/floor and butter the back of the slate. Gives better adhesion. This will be powdered adhesive though.

Simon, this thread has got me trying to remember my tiling course from a couple of years back, was that stuff I'm remembering about the air escaping rubbish, it's bugging me now I've said it.

Honestly don't know. I was told it was to do with the amount of contact of adhesive between tile and surface it's going on. Also depends on how straight your walls are as well :)

Simon, this thread has got me trying to remember my tiling course from a couple of years back, was that stuff I'm remembering about the air escaping rubbish, it's bugging me now I've said it.

It's kind of right but it isn't the air escaping during the adhesive cure, the notched adhesive lets the air escape while you bed the tile down. The notches stop any bubbles of air being trapped behind the tile as it can squish out along the channels until the tile is fully bedded. If you just trowled a full bed on (like plastering), you could easily trap big bubbles behind the tile as you bedded it.

At least that's what my tiler mate says :)

Tubbed adhesive takes about 8 days to set before you can grout. Powdered adhesive you can grout after 24 hours. Never used tub adhesive myself.

[DLMURL="http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/white-star"]BAL Adhesives - Products - white star[/DLMURL]

24 hrs for this one

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to let the moisture evaporate from the adhesive with tubbed, the others its a chemical reaction
imo

Well you probably know more than me about adhesives in general, but I tend to go by what the manufacturers tell me. When I first started I did a lot of bathrooms, used this stuff plenty of times, never had a problem, and have not had a single complaint or call back after two years so for my money it does what it says on the tin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tiling around a new shower installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock