Search the forum,

Discuss tiles cracking with underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just had a call from a cust who is having this problem? Could it be the wrong grout used? Water running too hot or screed all wrong? What can I look out for and what can be done about it? Apart from taking all up and starting again?

How thick is screed?
How long was it left to dry
How wide is the floor
Are they polished proc 600x 600
What expansion joints included
What's the screed!

Not been there yet. But now I know a list of things to look at. She says she has all the paperwork for it so I shall check that out and see what it looks like. A nice list to go by there. How often do you need to put expansion gaps per sq metre?

Somethings failed or not used correct adhesives and grouts or not left it for long enough and ramped it up slowly.

This is a tiling problem, no fault of the underfloor heating.

ask how log after screeding was it tiled? ( 1 week then 1mm per day) this can be speeded up with a bit of force drying, but should be tested before tiling.
ask what type of screed. Liquid or sand and cement. Both these have to be used with different types of adhesive.
if the floor is large, were expansion joints allowed for, and if its stone a decoupling mat should have been used.

TilersForums.co.uk might be best for this. We have some awesome screed guys on there.

Tiles don't crack due to UFH. And if an incorrect (non-flexible) adhesive was used, they'd also not crack, they'd just come loose.

So it would suggest the adhesive is correct, and the screed is cracking, and the cracks are going through the solid adhesive and tile too.

Usually down to commissioning time not being long enough for the screed. Or incorrect screed mixture used.

We have a Gypsol tech expert on tilersforums though if you want to ask over there.

Do you know if a decoupling membrane (like Schluter Ditra) has been used at all?

Do you know if a decoupling membrane (like Schluter Ditra) has been used at all?

I know nothing at all about the job. Will see paperwork tomorrow so will find out then. I shall also ask in tilers forum if I can remember my password

I'd never dare tile onto a new screed, the tilers forum boards are a wash with cracking screed threads. It really puts you off.

Tiler blames plumber, plumber blames screeder, screeder blames plumber and tiler, tiler,plumber and screeder blame the screed delivery driver, delivery driver blames some guy walking past out with his dog.

My guess is the screed wasnt given enough time to dry before tiling, i"ve seen screeds layed on a friday and tiled on a tuesday before

One other thing. How old is all this and where are the original people if its pretty new. Be careful Mutley.

Good thread on this subject here.
[DLMURL="http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/tilers-forums-arms/72335-proven-anhydrite-methods-3.html#post734059"]TilersForums.co.uk | Tiling Forum | Tilers Forum - Wall and floor tilers gain free tiling advice[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look, take some pics, ask how it was done then post on here. See if we can assist.

Well, turns out it is electric underfloor heating in a basement flat. I don't have a clue about the preparation of this stuff. But, the tiles are all becoming loose, cracking in places and grout coming loose.

Sounds like it's probably just a case of using the wrong adhesive, or maybe there's damp under the floor?

They need to get the tiler back mutley not the plumber sounds like some clown has put normal tile adhesive instead of flexible tile adhesive. The adhesive can't cope with the expansion and contraction and starts to disintegrate thus causing the tiles to move and crack and then the grout is moving because the tiles are moving

Honestly don't know why anyone uses that ready mixed rubbish. It's a nightmare waiting to happen.

How thick is screed?
How long was it left to dry
How wide is the floor
Are they polished proc 600x 600
What expansion joints included
What's the screed!

CarpetWorld Ermi, red,blue,grey, mind the nails in the carpet gripper, finger I mean...:27:

I'd never dare tile onto a new screed, the tilers forum boards are a wash with cracking screed threads. It really puts you off.

Tiler blames plumber, plumber blames screeder, screeder blames plumber and tiler, tiler,plumber and screeder blame the screed delivery driver, delivery driver blames some guy walking past out with his dog.

I feel left out. What's wrong with the normal practice of blaming the merchant?

It was done in 2007 so doubt they will come back and fix it. I shall let the client know that it needs re-tiling with flexible grout.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated

It might have been turned on too soon. Should be two weeks after tiling.
i would recommend taking the tiles up( this will probably destroy the element) then fit new underfloor, re-tile using bagged SPF( single part flexible) adhesive and grout using bal superflex grout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tiles cracking with underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock