Discuss thermocouple tester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a thermocouple tester it comes in handy on the job, but when testing the type of thermoccouple with a lead coming from the bottom of thermocouple and another coming from were thermocouple is connected to the gas valve,what mv am i looking for to determine if ok,...50mv.????

25-30 mv open circuit test

12-15 closed circuit test

Last edited:
25-30 mv open circuit test

12-15 closed circuit test
how can establish that the thermocouple is faulty or ok,while heating the tip i took a reading of leads and i got 50mv,am i to assume that it is ok even if it is a little higher than what you are saying

never used my thermocouple tester 99% time its easier to stick a new thermocouple in,after all you have to disconnect one end to use the tester and if after fitting the new thermo the pilot still wont establish the gas valve (or hl stat if fitted) is knackered

never used my thermocouple tester 99% time its easier to stick a new thermocouple in,after all you have to disconnect one end to use the tester and if after fitting the new thermo the pilot still wont establish the gas valve (or hl stat if fitted) is knackered

i just stick a new one in to test as well

the leads of this thermocouple plug into a pcb, and it looks like thermocouple comes as a complete piece oxy pilot etc,obviously i'll try the oxy pilot assembly first but i've got a feeling this one could run on ..i'm getting sick of fires they seem nothing but trouble for little reward.

I never change a thermocouple unless it a quick swap . the price of some of these old one is well expensive

if the pilot light is not staying on it could be a blocked injector , or the over heat stat if there is one fitted or the gas valve unlightly i would have thought

if the pilot light is not staying on it could be a blocked injector , or the over heat stat if there is one fitted or the gas valve unlightly i would have thought
on this model the thermocouple leads go into a pcb,so it could be that aswell,if i'm getting 50mv would suggest the thermocouple is fine and the problem is else were

i think you would have to check the MI . To avoid an expensive mistake perhaps

on this model the thermocouple leads go into a pcb,so it could be that aswell,if i'm getting 50mv would suggest the thermocouple is fine and the problem is else were
what is it your working on?thermo leads in to a pcb? HL stat on there or flue stat?(ttb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thermocouple tester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am troubleshooting a gas hob where one burner is reluctant to light. When it is lit and I blow the flame out the FSD on that burner cuts off...
Replies
Views
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2...
Replies
Views
Replacing a remote gas control valve with its manual equivalent. My daughter has a gas coal effect fire. First, I know they're crap, she'll just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Back