Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Thermal store installation LENR in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajb

I’m considering changing my cylinder ahead of a bathroom upgrade. I’d like to use the opportunity to prepare for a future alternative heat source called LENR that can almost completely cover my heating and hot water requirements (and potentially microgeneration as well). This probably isn’t coming to market for another 3 years but I’d still like to be ready: full info at lenrftw.net or ecat.com/ecat-products/ecat-home. This heat source is probably going to resemble a wood burner, i.e. somewhat uncontrolled.

The requirements therefore are that both heating and hot water go through the cylinder so I only fall back to the boiler in emergencies but for the next three years it’s the only source. Most solar cylinders I’ve looked at are just hot water and also are limited by the amount of heat that’s stored if you’re not connecting a panel. Other things I’m trying to achieve here are higher hot water pressure, more hot water capacity and removal of the loft tanks (sealing the heating seems straightforward with a Potterton Profile boiler), so even if this new energy doesn't pan out soon I'm still better off than before.

I haven’t found many cylinders that have two heat sources in, hot water and central heating out at reasonable prices. The Gledhill Torrent GreenHeat SP seems to tick all the boxes but is this model any good or are there better ones on the market? Any other advice?

Still trying to see how a contraption using low energy nuclear reactions is going to be tied to a thermal store. Must be a Keanu Reaves fan - "Chain Reaction".

I've had a google of it and it's a mix of people saying it's a pile of poo and another group of people saying it's not a pile of poo and giving reasons why they can't prove it's NOT a pile of poo.

Well that's half an hour of my life I won't be getting back any time soon.

Why not just get a 2 or 3 coil cylinder then you can muck about with and your various heat sources

centralheatking

centralheatking, thank you for getting back to the plumbing question: I'm looking for the option to add another heat source that behaves a bit like a woodburner and really looking for the best cylinder here. I'm optimistic that within the 25 years of the life of the cylinder I'll be able to add something better than a boiler. I'm looking at a heat store because the proposed products put out 10-20kW of heat that can be pumped around like boiler heat but startup and shutdown times are likely to be long so the buffering the cylinder provides is going to be very useful.

Make sure that the manufacturers warranty covers a feed from a cold fusion unit :)

A Heatbank can be heated from any heat source. You can make one yourself if you like, there's plenty of information on-line explaining how its done.

As for cold fusion, well, I think the Jury is still out on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal store installation LENR in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am getting my old hot water cylinder tank replaced (my property has no boiler as it is a full electric property). My plumber suggested...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV PULSAcoil thermal stores are primarily designed for use with on/off peak electricity but also have...
Replies
Views
I have been told that I can't have a mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder with a back boiler on a wood burning stove as the heat source is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock