Search the forum,

Discuss tap removal again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcard

Gas Engineer
I"ve taken out the tails now so you can see.At the end of that long stud is a 5mm allan socket,happy days I thought.The stud will not budge.had grips on allen key,had a 5mm t bar on it.All you can hear is the metal grinding on the china as there is no rubber washer fitted.
They have the same taps fitted in another b/room so we had a go at them,same thing,won"t budge.
It" an ideal standard sink so I gave them a bell & without tap names they could"nt help.
Any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
Have you tried turning it the other way? Can you get an impact driver in there and stick an allen bit in and go steady?

My mate suggested turning it the other way but i"m getting nervous as the metal is tight up on the china.

I Hate this style of tap bolt,
Get the customer to sign a disclaimer and try turning it the other way and see what happens

If I remember correctly they are left hand threads, or at least the ones I fitted were

EDIT
If there are any threads showing underneath, try an 8mm nut on it first (or whatever size it is) that will tell you what thread it is

Last edited:
I came across a tap with this type of fixing once, took me ages to get it off, ended up getting my grips on the bigger clamp part and twisting it off.
Once it was off I figured out how they work, the clamp part should pop off the threaded rod once loose, the rod only needs a couple of turns to loosen the fitting enough to get the clamp off.

looks like the brass nut and the tap body are acting like locking nuts pulling the metal clamp tighter!.
try tapping the brass up and turn a bit ,then repeat.

Is there no access from the top of tap, it might secure from above the basin & undo in the same way?

Thanks for all the replies,I"m going back thursday & check what threading it is.Hopefully get it sorted.

If there's no way of undoing the stud bar from the top (not under a cap etc) then I would assume the stud bar is anchored into tap base, but still able to turn
If this is the case, when you turn the stud clockwise it should loosen the nut and retaining bar

thres a couple taps on eBay with that same fixing If you search ideal standard basin tap, looks just like a regular fixing, gonna have to try harder on that little Allen key screw!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tap removal again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock