Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Talking to a brick wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
We've just got a fairly large domestic job. Ensuite, bathrooms, new boiler, new unvented cylinder, fitting new rads. A good bit of work.

Customer is insistent on wanting to supply their own sanitaryware. Even though I've said that if anything stops us working because it's wrong, bits aren't there on time etc they will have to pay our labour while we wait for bits.

I've explained that on every fit only job we do there are always issues with items supplied.

I've explained that my margin on supply and fit covers us to sort any bits out if there's a problem, and also that I can get replacement items next day usually.

Now they've emailed me with pictures, yes pictures, of their chosen items today and asked me to confirm if they are suitable or not. Politely told them that once they are ordered and I can see them I can tell them if anything ISN'T suitable. If they want advice etc on sanitaryware they can buy it off me. Cheeky sods.

Agree they want the help but don't want to pay for it ! , who fixes the parts that go wrong in the next 12 months they expect it for free also . Always push for the supply and fit only jobs then in control of what happens.

I just politely said I couldn't offer advice on products I have not fitted before as there are too many variables. I suggested that their supplier should be offering advice!

If your fitting all that other stuff then I wouldn't worry about giving a bit of advice on the other stuff... It would take you less than a few minutes to say yay or nay to there chooses stuff!?

Personally there's too much sanitary stuff out there, I would rather they supply & if they don't like the design it's there problem!?

I sort of agree with above ^^ comment.
People for years have always asked me check if what THEY are going to buy is correct!
I wouldn't mind on the ones where I am doing a large job on rest of house, but some of the customers ask me to bend over backwards and frankly try to order me about.
Even had some getting me to get the stuff wholesale price and then get someone else to fit it!!

+1 with the 2 comments above and least it gives you a heads up for what there looking at and any problems in 1st fix etc

Two ways here.
1 Supply and fit.
2. Fit only. BUT, only from a nominated supplier where you have input on the materials they are purchasing. Then let the merchant give them a percentage of your discount. You get a lick back from the merchant, they get it a little cheaper and everyone's happy.

I got a phonecall today from one of the few decent suppliers of sanitary ware in the area. Sent a couple of customers through to them in the past 4 weeks.

They wanted to thank me for sending people their way and to get my address to send the cheque too. Going to get between 5 and 10% of the custs order paid back to me.

Bit of a surprise to say the least :)

I blame the internet for all this lol

I had the shower screen from hell today no fit instructions just the packaging it came in was a flaming mare with all the bits . Bonus side they have asked me to price on while house install in next few months .

Victoria Plumb...............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

This is why I hate bathroom installs.

You try to get them to have decent stuff and they see the price and cough and splutter or you spend ages with them trying to find out what they want if they even know.

Then you have people who you advise not to go on Victoria plumb (after having worked for a few customers who have bought and had problems) then they are there showing you what they are getting and yes it's from Victoria plumb.

To be quite honest bathrooms are just more hassle than they are worth, I've tried giving people a rough design and sending them of to a merchants and bathroom shop with all sizes etc and the plan they want and the merchants just ignore everything and do what they want!!! ( a good example was a person who wanted a shower+ screen a toilet and basin with units he came back to me and said the robbing ba####ds they want £6k!!!! I said you taking the mick and saw what they quoted and it included a new £400 shower and I'd never heard of the make (the shower in at the moment is 6 months old and I fitted it) electric under floor heating (the floor wasn't being touched) the shower tray had moved to a position that you wouldn't get the 1800mm high screen in as you only had just 1700mm in height! And the toilet moved to a position that would of meant completely digging up the floor and Tarmac to get a new soil through! I couldn't believe it.

I know say get what you want and I will fit it and just price an extra day to do so as I can't be bothered with the extra hassle.

This is why I price bathrooms on a weekly rate/day rate and give an estimate not exact quote as most of the time the customer either changes there mind half way through or decides after the sinks installed or toilet that the don't really like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Talking to a brick wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock