Search the forum,

Discuss System for softening hard water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morningster

Hi. Living in Thames Basin with lovely hard water, limescale galore...

I'd like to know what is a simple (installation-wise), effective system to soften the water. I'm particularly interested in the plug-in magnetic type which you wind around the water mains pipe, or the clamp-on magnetic type (though that sounds less effective).

Also, how do such systems affect the drinking quality of the water (mineral quality etc)?

Any ideas appreciated.

There are three types:

a. Ion exchange, whereby the incoming water is passed over a bed of Zeolite, which takes the minerals causing hardness out of the water. After a time the Zeolite can attract no more minerals, so the water flow is stopped, a solution of brine used to rinse out the Zeolite and reactivate it, then the water flow recommences.

b. Chemical, where polyphosphates are dissolved in the incoming water, and prevent the hardness minerals from precipitating out of the water. The polyphosphates need to be renewed as they dissolve.

c. Magnetic devices. I personally think these are a nonsense, and I have not been able to find any conclusive proof that they work. The idea is that by passing the ions which cause hardness through a magnetic field, they are altered in a way which prevents them from being deposited. To me it seems a fairy story, and even if true I don't see how the effect can last more than a few seconds. I don't see why there should be any difference between those which use a permanent magnet and those which use a coil of wire with a current flowing through it to create an electro-magnet.

Type a are proven and effective. However, water so treated should is not considered potable. They are relatively bulky, and need to be replenished with salt, which is no longer cheap. There can be very slight traces of salt in the softened water, and some boiler manufacturers don't approve of the use of softened water with their boilers. I've got one of these. Its 27 years old and has never given any trouble (famous last words).

Type b are also proven and effective. I'd suggest that again the softened water is better not drunk. Not sure what boiler manufacturers have to say about it.

Type c - I remain to be convinced.

In terms of installation, ion exchange units require most work. Also they are quite heavy and location needs careful consideration. Polyphosphate units are pretty straightforward (one pipe in, one out), and the magnetic ones are also very simple.

I'm currently trialling the magnets which fit to the outside of the incoming mains pipe. Having been an industrial chemist in a past life I can see how they may work. Had them on for 4 months and so far there is no build up of limescale on tap spouts which I used to get.

As steadyon says I'm not entirely convinced yet but it looks promising. Probably worth a go for around £25.

Most boiler manufacturers accept the magnetic or electrolytic type as scale prevention devices for combi boilers so there must be some truth in the advertising bumph.

Working for a large installation company a couple of years back we were fitting the small softeners that dosed the water before the combi boiler. Because these needed to be topped up on a regular basis they regularly run out and we had a spate of calls to scaled up secondary heat exchangers. When we swapped to the magnetic/electrolytic type the calls for scaled up secondary heat exchangers stopped. That was enough to convince me that they worked.

Also worth noting that the poly-phosphate balls if not replaced, in addition to no longer softening the water also break down and can block the heat exchanger.

A proper water softener will give you the result you require. They can be expensive but should be considered a lifetime investment (especially if you live in the Thames Valley). I have had one for 35 years and take it with me when I move.

I would not be without it and the softened water is great for washing and bathing.

.....and no more limescale!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System for softening hard water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock