Search the forum,

Discuss Swivel plug stuck with grit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
New here. I'm a freelance Web Designer so not a Plumber so please excuse my naivety - well that's that covered, lol.
I have a couple of issues. We had a new bathroom refurbishment in 2015 but have had a few issues and the original builder just wasn't interested in assisting or advising. We had way too many blocked toilet scenarios and eventually got someone in to assist. Someone had a look and thought our pipes were collapsing so advised to get the insurance involved. Well Insurance company sent out their person who had a look with a camera, then the report came in. The Insurance said it was "bad workmanship" and something they did not cover. Apparently indoor piping used outdoors was their assessment. It looked as though a reduced had been used to connect new pan to cast iron works.

A friend got involved and sent someone to find the problem piping; as we had no real idea where the fault was located the whole floor and shower tray have been bug up. They found the piping; a white insert had been used to connect the two 4 inch pipes, effectively causing a bottle-neck and reducing aperture to 2 inches. This reducer was also embedded in a layer of concrete. In the process of digging up the floor some grit got into one of our bathroom sinks and seems to have jammed the swivel plug. It is totally jammed. I wondered whether it is possible to remove the mechanism by loosening the hex ring beneath the sink and perhaps lift out the plug? Do you get a appropriate spanner in B&Q?

Attachments

• Toilet-reducer.jpg
    Toilet-reducer.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 34
The nut shouldn`t be that tight so either a pair of grips or a spanner to remove the nut is ok. There are two different basin wastes depending if the basin has an overflow or not, Simply replace the waste @ around £11,
Posted @ 13.48.

Indeed the wrong connection has been used there are purpose made rubber adaptors made specifically made to adapt from one material to the other and avoid any unnecessary reduction or step in the joint, the waste will need replacing which is a simple job for a plumber. Kop

Thanks for the responses. A friend sorted out the collar and connection.
I just have the issue with the stuck swivel plug now.

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_115400.jpg
    IMG_20191007_115400.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20191007_115413.jpg
    IMG_20191007_115413.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191007_120442.jpg
    IMG_20191007_120442.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20191007_120459.jpg
    IMG_20191007_120459.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Now this may work it might not

Put some water in the basin around an inch or two

Get a piece of wooden dowl and on one end eg the swivel give it a tap eg put the wooden dowl on the waste swivel and tap the dowl with a hammer not too hard and don’t drop the hammer

Once it’s open clean all around the internal parts where it seats up against

Either that or change the waste

Reply to Swivel plug stuck with grit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock