Discuss Storage tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

truemanufan

How would you correctly calculate the appropriate size of storage tank needed?

It is a bit subjective - How many bathrooms / showers, what size is the cylinder? Are any of the cold taps / WCs fed from it, what is your water supply flow rate like? How much space is available for a tank?

under B.S 6700 min requirement is 230ltr`s to supply hot and cold services but as WHPES
states that would need to be stepped up if you have extra bathrooms showers etc:)regards turnpin

BS6700 -

25 gallon if only to feed hot water cylinder.

50 gallon (230l) for other services as well as cyinder.

Remember that these are the nominal sizes and as the tank is not filled to the top, you typically only get about 2/3 to 3/4 of this.

It is a standard and not a regulation so not mandatory.

In my own house I only have a 25 gallon tank supplying a power shower etc (there is not physically space for a larger tank) but the pressure of the mains where I live is such that even with the shower going full tilt and the washing machine on at the same time it is impossible to run it dry.

BS6700 -

25 gallon if only to feed hot water cylinder.

50 gallon (230l) for other services as well as cyinder.

Remember that these are the nominal sizes and as the tank is not filled to the top, you typically only get about 2/3 to 3/4 of this.

It is a standard and not a regulation so not mandatory.

In my own house I only have a 25 gallon tank supplying a power shower etc (there is not physically space for a larger tank) but the pressure of the mains where I live is such that even with the shower going full tilt and the washing machine on at the same time it is impossible to run it dry.

BS6700 quotes you need 25 gallons for hot and 25 for cold, the tank needs to be sized to supply that amount of water, eg if only supplying hot you need 25 gallons so you would purchase a 40/25 tank as they are/were called, 40 being what it holds, filled to the top like a bucket, and 25 is what it holds when ballcock and overflow are properly positioned, central heating tanks were 10/4 under the same theory

Yes it was called nominal and actual capacity.

Nominal being the capacity of the tank if filled to the top.

Actual being the amount of water in the tank when fitted and adjusted to water level.

The water storage vessel often called a tank is not really a tank at all. A tank is enclosed on all six sides, a storage tank isn't, it usually has a loose lid, so its really a cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Storage tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw electric boiler with a hot water storage tank for a new Electric Combi Boiler ? Would there a...
Replies
Views
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
I have a hydronic hot water storage tank located at floor level. The hot water flow and return pipes run up the wall into the ceiling space and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock