Search the forum,

Discuss How to prevent heat loss from a hydronic storage tank? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a hydronic hot water storage tank located at floor level. The hot water flow and return pipes run up the wall into the ceiling space and then back down to floor level to the manifold. We are experiencing significant heat loss from the storage tank when the system is not circulating, presumably from convection. I would appreciate advice as to the most effective way to eliminate the heat loss. Thanks.

You've lost me with the term 'hydronic hot water storage tank'.

However, if it is some kind of storage vessel and the flow and returns from the heat source run up away from it, then natural circulation (convection) will tend to circulate hot water into the raised sections of pipework, via one-pipe circulation even. Solutions can be anti-convection loops (run the pipe down before it goes up), long horizontal sections before rising (at least 18"), or just very good lagging on the pipework. From your post, it sounds as if you are asking whether the pipework could be circulating heat away from the storage vessel and the answer is, yes it can.

Reply to How to prevent heat loss from a hydronic storage tank? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock