Discuss Starting up for my self, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foley

Hi,

I'm unemployed just now, Lost my job through lack of work the company had,
There's not much work out there atm where i stay so i've been thinking about starting up for myself,

I've been plumbing for over 10yrs 6yr on newbuilds and 5yr on maintenance work, (Time served with my papers)

I've got all the tools a plumber would ever need, (Spent a fortune on tools)
My gas card has expired thats the only down thing, So it would be mainly domestic plumbing i would be doing, Am not silly and know there more to working for your self than just doing the plumbing work, Dealing with awkward costomers ect,

Can you make a good living by just doing domestic plumbing?
Can i get any help form the goverment to set up for my self?
One thing thats holding me back is i have no spare cash for a van :(
Or would i be better waiting for a job with another company?

I would like to hear your thoughts

Cheers j

Ok, I have been doing this stuff for 33 years.
until about 2 yrs ago I could make a very good living from it. My books show £70,000 labour only on new build subbing to another company for the yr ended April 2008.That is pretty much what I have expected for the last 25 yrs. The following yr it was about £55,000 doing the same type of work and the yr just finished which was a mix of subbing new build and my own domestic work will show a pathetic income after outgoings of about £20,000.
Why would anybody bother to go to the expense of qualifying in this trade to earn such a pathetically low wage with all the hassle that goes with it?
Now that house building is picking up again I expect to be up around £45-50,000 again this yr(still not enough, I was earning that 12 yrs ago) but my ability to earn in that field is not down to qualifications(although I have several) it is plenty of experience and a good reputation within the house building industry in my locality.
When I read posts on here about expectations of earning £25-30 k a year my heart sinks.It is a trade which requires more knowledge and skill than any I can think of but a plasterer can easily earn the same sort of money but be in the pub by 3.30 every day knowing that he will have no comebacks at all. Oh, but let's not forget that it prob took him anything up to a fortnight to learn his skills!

The ka is just not practical for plumbing,

Was thinking about asking my mum and dad for a loan to get a van, (no interest to pay) as they have a few bob,
How do you guys know what to charge? Have yous got an hourly rate?
Jobs that ain't worth the hassle do you add more on?
Don't want to charge too much and have people think am trying to rip them off, I'm a decent and honest guy,

i used to use a motorbike when was younger, were theres a will.......

Ok, I have been doing this stuff for 33 years.
until about 2 yrs ago I could make a very good living from it. My books show £70,000 labour only on new build subbing to another company for the yr ended April 2008.That is pretty much what I have expected for the last 25 yrs. The following yr it was about £55,000 doing the same type of work and the yr just finished which was a mix of subbing new build and my own domestic work will show a pathetic income after outgoings of about £20,000.
Why would anybody bother to go to the expense of qualifying in this trade to earn such a pathetically low wage with all the hassle that goes with it?
Now that house building is picking up again I expect to be up around £45-50,000 again this yr(still not enough, I was earning that 12 yrs ago) but my ability to earn in that field is not down to qualifications(although I have several) it is plenty of experience and a good reputation within the house building industry in my locality.
When I read posts on here about expectations of earning £25-30 k a year my heart sinks.It is a trade which requires more knowledge and skill than any I can think of but a plasterer can easily earn the same sort of money but be in the pub by 3.30 every day knowing that he will have no comebacks at all. Oh, but let's not forget that it prob took him anything up to a fortnight to learn his skills!
it really anoys me when a plasterer can earn more than me, supply and demand though. people think plumbing is the pot of gold bt everyone is struggling to make the income they did 5 years ago, plasterers are few and far between, so they get paid more per day in my expereince

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Foley, If you want to earn money? Go the price work route, not sitting in a loft tapping pipes like some do for an hourly rate. Even if you under price a few, it gives you the incentive to work smarter and quicker to get out of trouble. The turn it in to cash approach has worked for me. It keeps you in a positive mood and fit. Not waiting for the hours to tick away. Clients prefer to know what the job will cost before committing. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting up for my self, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock