Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Starting out in plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Waffles

I am at a point in my life where I seriously want to change my career from IT where I earn about 50K to doing some form of Plumbing/ bathroom/ Kitchen fitting and am trying to find out if I need any qualifications to do this.

I have renovated and installed 2 bathrooms in my house doing all the work from building the stud walls, Wiring (I know wiring in a bathroom, It was signed off by an electrician), Plumbing, installation of the Sanitary ware and shower cubical, Tilling (Floor and Walls). I have also replaced Immersion heaters and toilet filling valves.

So I know this does not make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I am thinking of starting my own business in domestic Plumbing with Bathroom/ Kitchen fitting.

There is a 5 day course in plumbing and Bathroom fitting that is £495 at Construction Skill College that is appealing. Any thoughts on this?

Also, If doing bathroom fitting where do you stand with regards to electrics? By this I mean simply loosening the plates to fit tiles behind them. Can you move the sockets or do you need to be qualified to do that?

Any Idea on what kind of money I can expect doing this?

Thanks for any pointers

Certainly not 50k that's for sure. There are many FULLY QUALIFIED plumbers who are also gas safe registered engineers who struggle to break 30k

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

You will be luck to clear a tenth of what you are on now in your first year.
A £500 course will learn you nothing. You would learn more watching you tube!

I am at a point in my life where i am starting to hate plumbing / heating / gas and all the other stuff i do. Not the actual doing the job but I have seen it and done it and my bones and body ache for the experience, people (customers) are a pain in the backside and the profit margins are being squeezed to ridiculous levels. It is nothing more than a rat race.

The grass is seldom greener.

If you jack in a dry, safe, comfortable office job where you earn 50k for a job where you will be wet, dirty and will pick up injuries for life,I think you are you're crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
that course for £495 will be nothing short of a course for the diyer who wants to do the odd job around the house, not for someone looking to get into plumbing full time. you will be hard pressed to earn anything near your present salary, it will be very hard graft to build up a regular customer base.

its a joke.....yes, if not take the rose coloured glasses off mate, your walking away from 50k. for pain.cuts,hassle,loooong hours for a lot less money, think i am jokeing try it!!!!

You can make a good living in Plumbing, but it takes years and a hell of a lot of very hard work and be prepared to cut off your time spent with your kids and family.
In reverse I enjoy IT and building PC's in particular and I'm a mod on a computer forum. Would be nice to trade places mate!

It's a big difference from doing a couple of bathrooms for yourself in your spare time to actually making a living from it. But in saying that you've probably seen more than they will show you on that course.

If you intend to trade in a City the parking alone is a nightmare, security is another. With IT. skill and " stretch of the imagination" a nice living can be made. Plumbing is normally restricted 9 to 5. Where as IT.can be performed at any hours, give you and yours a life. That can be tuned to daylight. To earn good money via plumbing = quantity = fitness = while you are young. Getting old means less money. This equation does not balance. Think hard before jumping

At your job, you will not loose money any week, but at plumbing, you will have varying money each week & sometimes none! Nothing usually beats a set salary.
No offence, but I would have known more about plumbing, heating, & other trade skills when I was a teenager than you will after any fast training, so you will still be a novice.

Changing a few bathrooms gives you as much insight into plumbing as changing some ram gives me insight into IT.
Honestly mate it would be a bum move, quality of life and wage will suffer.

Got to be a wind up

Have been thinking same. Although there are people in well paid jobs who think they can actually have less stress & earn reasonable money becoming a plumber.
Maybe "Waffles" is Waffling! :grin:

its not a wind up! OK I am on good money but the stress is unbelievable. I am in a situation that means I am not sleeping at night, am constantly stressed and is starting to impact my family life. All I want to make sure of is that I can cover the mortgage and bills and understand that making anywhere near 50K is unreasonable. But surely but leafleting, creating a website, local magazines should start generating a customer base? What about contracts with Estate agents for Maintenance or Property managers who rent does no one have these as a customer base? Do these not generate decent income?

its not a wind up! OK I am on good money but the stress is unbelievable. I am in a situation that means I am not sleeping at night, am constantly stressed and is starting to impact my family life. All I want to make sure of is that I can cover the mortgage and bills and understand that making anywhere near 50K is unreasonable. But surely but leafleting, creating a website, local magazines should start generating a customer base? What about contracts with Estate agents for Maintenance or Property managers who rent does no one have these as a customer base? Do these not generate decent income?

The problem is the competition you'll face from experienced and established plumbers. You'll also find that plumbing is extremely stressful to.

If your after changing career for less stress have you thought of a driving job? Bus drivers earn about £23k and less stress there.

Good luck in your chosen path though.

sorry but there is stress in bus driving, i should know i was one for 23 years lol. although the wage level you put is about right.

The last 2 years have been very hard for me, I now run a site with 6 plumbers on go in meetings, tool box talks ect ect, I get just above HALF what you get now, own van tools ect, Stress! come talk to my family, If you wont something payed good less stress HGV, people have put some true and good points across.

hi and welcome to the forum waffles.

i would be try to avoid any sort of fast track type training course that will cost you alot of money and give you very little in return. You need to get to a good local college and do a city and guilds or simular. You may have to do it two nights a week after work over a couple of years but it will atleast give you an industry reconised qualification.

During this time you can either try and find a plumbing company to give you a training position or get yourself a less stressful job which will cover your bills and try and find a local plumber willing to give you a chance to help him/her on some jobs for free. Or even if you have the confidence some small jobs for yourself from family and friends for example.

I tell many people that ask about this trade that you need to ignore any stories you have read in the papers or advertisements, its a skilled job like any other and it takes time to become qualified and experienced enough to start earning a good wage. Its the same as any skilled job be it a trade or a IT position etc. The truth is the state of the entire construction industry is very bad, i know of many qualified plumbers who can not find work and have taken jobs else where. One qualified plumber i know stacks shelves in tescos currently to make ends meet.

I would not want to say dont enter the trade, but do so with your eyes open. Stress is in every job in different ways, so make sure your not swapping the stress from your current job for the stress of being an over worked under payed tradesman.

HI AWheating thanks for the constructive information. Finding a college that does NVQ in oxfordshire seems to be quite hard. I found one that is at weekends but that means none stop work for 20 weeks!!! I have definitely had a bit of an eye opening moment. thanks all for the comments.

I have been running my own business now for 2.5 years and if it wasn't for my partner earning excellent money I wouldn't be plumbing now!

Running your own business, customer base, leafleting, advertising you will not have a customer base in a year,

If your having sleepless nights now wait until the phone doesn't ring! or the phone rings and it is changing a toilet syphon, tap washer and a set of taps. By the time you pay for your leaflets and either get them delivered (£30 per 1000) and your weeks work is only £200 (if your lucky).

Delivering them yourself, then if your not delivering because your working your work dries up because you've stopped delivering leaflets, get someone to deliver them £90 per 3,000 you need to earn £120 to break even on the deal.

Then no company wants to employ a fast track plumber, no experienced plumber wants to help you because they're training there competion. I've landed on my feet here luckily and have a couple of good friends I call on.

Your knowledge (to start) is wholly inadequate, tools you need, van, advertising, costs are way more than you expect.

If you bring home £10k in your first year then I think you've done well, net loss of £40k.

My first year, oh, thats right made nothing. Every penny I earnt went to buy something else that I needed.

I may come across as being negative or bitter, this is not the case. I stand in my suppliers watching people come and go in this industry. I've done a few posts on starting out you may find these interesting if you can find them somewhere...

Think very very hard before you walk away from your current job! in the current economic climate plumbing is not the way to go. If you do take the plunge genuinely good luck to you

I have been running my own business now for 2.5 years and if it wasn't for my partner earning excellent money I wouldn't be plumbing now!

Running your own business, customer base, leafleting, advertising you will not have a customer base in a year,

If your having sleepless nights now wait until the phone doesn't ring! or the phone rings and it is changing a toilet syphon, tap washer and a set of taps. By the time you pay for your leaflets and either get them delivered (£30 per 1000) and your weeks work is only £200 (if your lucky).

Delivering them yourself, then if your not delivering because your working your work dries up because you've stopped delivering leaflets, get someone to deliver them £90 per 3,000 you need to earn £120 to break even on the deal.

Then no company wants to employ a fast track plumber, no experienced plumber wants to help you because they're training there competion. I've landed on my feet here luckily and have a couple of good friends I call on.

Your knowledge (to start) is wholly inadequate, tools you need, van, advertising, costs are way more than you expect.

If you bring home £10k in your first year then I think you've done well, net loss of £40k.

My first year, oh, thats right made nothing. Every penny I earnt went to buy something else that I needed.

I may come across as being negative or bitter, this is not the case. I stand in my suppliers watching people come and go in this industry. I've done a few posts on starting out you may find these interesting if you can find them somewhere...

Think very very hard before you walk away from your current job! in the current economic climate plumbing is not the way to go. If you do take the plunge genuinely good luck to you

atrue and honest statement

i agree with all the posts on here. i started on my own 3 years ago and in my opinion the
economy is worse now than then, and is not set to get any better soon
last tax year i actually managed to earn enough to pay tax, a grand total of £39 for the whole year
which will give you some idea of how much my earnings were.

i understand about wanting to leave a stressful job, maybe you could just get a less stressful IT job ?

Secret squirrels post is very good example of how hard it can be at the nmoment . You whole business basically revolves around your phone ringing and as stated if it hardly rings that week then your in spot of bother and pressure on to find that wage packet.

Not sure if its going to be any better either this year with all the negative news reports on the economy all rather annoying !!

Stick with the job or similar as said before, save some money, go to college for a few years to complete 6129 level 2, move on to level 3 and pick up a bit of experience along the way. Plan in your head an exit route and whilst you're learning you'll have something to take you mind off the stress as the training is a good laugh with the right group. If you try it without any qualifications or fast track then you'll find it hard going.
Also, delaying this way hopefully UK Plc will be in a better place to start.

am the same as everyone else been there done the same lost loads and still trying to pay £8000 for my gas which took 18 months to get qualified customers were you have to work round them ,you get there having paid £10 on petty and there not in or got someone else theres y plans ,s plans loads of little secrets you carnt teach and take years to pick up to make life easier nighmare of a job wish id done hgv now ad think long and hard before you give up a good job mate if you think you got stress now mate wait till your in this game

Last edited by a moderator:
Stress !! you`ll know what stress is when you can-not pay your bills, or customer will not pay up, ive been in this game for over 30 years all ive got out of it is bad back and knees, 50K a year your having a joke, reading to meny fairy tails, think about working 7 days a week all the hrs god sends, winging and wineing coustomers calling day & night, sorry but if you can-not handle the stress pushing buttons sat in the warm, then you will never servive in the plumbing game, :86:

what we really need is a business partner who knows all about marketing, advertising, accounts, customer service etc....let them deal with the customers/admin and let us get on with the stuff we are good at !! i.e plumbing and heating haha. Seriously though when your on your own you are doing all these things not just plumbing, these are all skills in their own right, something i didnt really anticipate myself if i am honest

yep. how many times have you liked to have said (go away--take a long run on a short pier--are you taking the micheal) and other words to the customer because they just think you have a magic stick/spanner that works in a flash for you ! ps. if you have one let me know where i can buy one to! keeping your cool is some times soooooooooooooo hard to do.

Yes!! magic stick you can buy them from Gas Safe, after you have done the 2 day course and got a certificate to use it. :greedy:

o thanks !!!! thats where i went wrong, i didn"t do the 2 day course, must book on first thing LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting out in plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock