Search the forum,

Discuss solid fuel inset stove heating an old redfyre back boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, and thanks for reading my question! I have an old 16" fireplace that houses a lovely perfectly working old redfyre back boiler that after a few hours of burning coal and wood,produces loads of very hot water, however the fire doesn't throw much heat in to the room, could I in theory,after removing the old fire grate, fit an inset steel or cast iron stove into the recess and back it onto the back boiler and still get a little hot water from it? it seems a shame to rip out the working back boiler when it works so well but I'd really like to make the fireplace more efficient for the purpose of room heating if i possibly can. I've looked into the idea of replacing all with a boiler stove but have found it impossible to find a reliable guy who will take on the plumbing side of things, so am considering a simpler option, i realize the water wouldn't get as hot as when a naked flame is licking at the boiler, but maybe it would act as a starter to help warm the hot water cylinder that sits above it upstairs,
Just asking??!!
Thanks.

The first answer is an emphatic NO. Secondly you need to look up HETAS you will find plumbers there who can do the work required.

Flueing problems, trying to get a stove close enough to the back boiler, you won't get anywhere near the heat required to effectively transfer to the boiler, have you checked wether or not there is a damper in the flue?

Yes there is, the original hanging lever, forward/backward type damper, it can be lifted and removed easily, i have found when using the fireplace even with the damper completely open(pulled backward) all evening, it still gives heat to the boiler, it takes longer of course, but still heats the tank after about 6 hours burning, it seems a crime to remove such a great simple boiler, believe me, its very hard to find a hetas plumber here in Norfolk,plumbers can earn their money by doing simpler work, they are as rare as hens teeth..!

I understand your plight in not wanting to remove the fire, but when the damper is closed there should be a considerable difference in heat output to the room,
have you had the chimney swept, checked the damper is operating correctly, preferably by a NACS reg sweep.
soot and debris build up can affect the correct operation of the damping mechanism.

just searched HETAS for Norfolk engineers, didn't know it was in Argyll.lol

chimney swept in December, and told by sweep that the draft was good, i.ve had four quotes from hetas stove fitters/suppliers, all have told me that they no longer recommend plumbers for the wet side of things for a boiler stove fitting, they have been let down so often, they just cant get plumbers to do the work, a tip for hetas plumbers thinking of moving to Norfolk, don't hesitate, you.ll be flat out for work..! please come and see me first..!:tounge_smile:

I can't understand a HETAS fitter that doesn't do the wet side as well, I do gas and oil, it's like me turning up fit the boiler but you need someone else to do the wet side, unbelievable.
Sorry mate for your plight, but the stove against the back boiler would be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solid fuel inset stove heating an old redfyre back boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back, 2 for hot and 2 for cold, my new house has an open fire and has been used to heat both hot water and rads, but only has 2 outlets, can I T the 2 top...
Replies
Views
K
We have a dual heating system, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and a external kerosene heater. The kerosene heater is working fine heating the radiators and the water for the taps The solid fuel stove will heat the water for the taps but the radiators will only get luke warm. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock