Search the forum,

Discuss Smelly boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Welton

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a place this afternoon, had a report of a oil smell in hall and cellar.

Ran round oil line all dry, boiler then cut In absolutely stinking of poc, cust says that's the smell.

I ask when It was last serviced, last month, telegan print out stuck to cover confirms this.

ygu7ezaz.jpg

Hmm not sure.

And this brings me back to 'why aren't oftec policing this' surely that last engineer got paid, he has literally robbed that customer. Makes me sick :banghead:

left his brush behind? :)

went to a gas rayburn that took 15 minutes to service and £50 please, took me 3 hours to clean through properly and repair and replace parts, bill £200 plus, custard v happy and rang previous firm to ask a few questions, and I left it working as well along with an at risk notice due to other issues in the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this must be the same guy I seem to be following around lately! Lol!

Been after him a few times now always the same, thing is all the custs seem to love him!

Been after him a few times now always the same, thing is all the custs seem to love him!

Probably because he's doing them a cheap job bet they will change their minds when you show them what they have actually paid him for

Every one I go to, I go back to routinely, I make sure I show the cust the state of the thing but don't leave them to draw there own conclusions as I won't bad mouth any one that has gone before me (unless they have done something dangerous then I have no choice) Although peculiarly he charges more than I do!

What's his secret!? He must be a lovely guy who just doesn't like getting dirty! Lol

Every one I go to, I go back to routinely, I make sure I show the cust the state of the thing but don't leave them to draw there own conclusions as I won't bad mouth any one that has gone before me (unless they have done something dangerous then I have no choice) Although peculiarly he charges more than I do!

you have spent to much time reading the oftec customer service guides, I bet hed slag you off:smug2:

I think he has the patter, I used to work with him for a firm 10+ years ago and was the same back then, always comes across as very well spoken, etc.

I though he was just dealing in AGA's but apparently not

its normally the custpmer I'm cursing for lieing about when it was last serviced, it was working before you touched it, etc etc

We have it serviced every year! (flexi dated 1992, baffle need beating out, etc) :banghead:

And this brings me back to 'why aren't oftec policing this' surely that last engineer got paid, he has literally robbed that customer. Makes me sick :banghead:

How can OFTEC police this?

If the person claims to be an OFTEC member then throw him out preferably with a strike through their name on the OFTEC web site with Banned (or similar under his listing) instead of simply removing his details.

The purpose of not getting into the act of condemning the person there before you is to give yourself the time to explain what you will be doing and up-selling your services, the previous gent was not called back for a very obvious reason there is no point slagging the work further because you are also making little your customers choice of tradesman, bear in mind he did call you making you his choice for today no point in planting further seeds of doubt in his / her mind as to their judgement when it comes to employing tradesmen (you also means me).

Keep in mind there is nothing to stop any consumer buying a boiler or parts for one (oil or gas) which means without legislation banning indiscriminate sales of boilers and parts we must accept that there will always be those who engage in dangerous practices be it for profit or to try and save money.

The big difference between OFTEC and Gas Safe appears to be the law of the land, try fixing a gas boiler without having proved competence and being registered opens the door to heavy fines and possible jail time.

OFTEC need the member numbers before they can claim they have a system in place worthy of introducing legislation for that said I think Corgi / Gas Safe etc have been asking for the law to be changed with regard to buying gas boilers and spares for over twenty years so I would not try to anticipate drastic changes very soon.

Perhaps OFTEC should have photos like the above included in a rogues gallery on their web site preferably with pictures of the finished service by an OFTEC member to show the public the difference between employing a professional and the "Chap who does oil"

The only way I can think of getting a favourable FGA read out for a boiler in that condition would be to have the required details from a properly serviced boiler stored in the analysers memory, I for one would not risk using my analyser on that boiler.

Thanks for posting it Roger.

If the boiler was leaking Products of Combustion due to poor workmanship (not serviced properly). RIDDOR reportable?

If the boiler was leaking Products of Combustion due to poor workmanship (not serviced properly). RIDDOR reportable?

If it was gas you would be duty bound to remove the gas service (Cap it) if it was not being repaired.

This shows the big difference between the gas and oil industry.

If it was gas you would be duty bound to remove the gas service (Cap it) if it was not being repaired.

This shows the big difference between the gas and oil industry.

RIDDOR isn't exclusive to gas it applies all things at the work place. RIDDOR (Reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrances regulations)

Last edited:
I guess it would be classed as a 'near miss' although would be impossible to prove previous chap left it leaking, had joint only just failed, was the oil poor quality causing these deposits, etc. so at the end of the time would be wasted for no real outcome.

If it were the day after he visited it may be a mother story.

Not every RIDDOR kicks in an investigation. HSE use them alot to find trends and statics on whats happening around the country. So we get alot of behind the scenes stuff happening which mold policy and regulation.

Like for instance changes in the gas industry. ODS on gas fires in bedrooms, FSD on gad hobs in mulyi-occupancy buildings. ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smelly boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock