Search the forum,

Discuss Size matters, even in radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Canada Bob

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out on this one, I recently bought a house that's approx 30 years old and I'm working my way through it bringing stuff up to date.

The radiators {flat panel} are probably the original ones but I can't fathom if they are Imperial or Metric sizes, most of them are 75" / 1900mm long and that doesn't seem to have been a standard Imperial or Metric size.

If it helps they are single panel, finned, and 24" tall, I'd prefer not to have to rework the piping.

If I can't get rads this length would it be a bad idea to have them refurbished {blasted and painted}, or are they {as steel rads} likely to be rotten inside ? looked like Guinness when I flushed them out...

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob , in the long term you would be best to change them for more modern efficient ones. You will win in the end

Welcome to the forum's Bob...have to agree with tfj...whilst your at this stage best to upgrade rads and alter pipe work to suit....regards Turnpin:welcome:

Yea but, No but, I agree with you {for the long run} but I need to do something now that doesn't demand reworking the pipes or making the job look like an engine room :-(

Any idea what those rad sizes were, probably Imperial ?

6ft 3in what's that, might have worked {years ago} for Policemen but 6ft 3in rads !!!

If short term solution why not take all rads off and flush individually outside with hose then refit with new valves and flush whole system with chemical and add magnetic filter. Hopefully nice clean system without changing rads and pipework for short term?

But would agree with others that best to just upgrade all now as will save money in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go that route, but I'm still trying to figure out if 6ft 3in was a standard Imperial size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Size matters, even in radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Having now finished all the wiring, plastering, laying the floor and spending 6 solid weeks and many thousands of £££’s completely gutting and...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at...
Replies
Views
Having recently replaced my condensing gas boiler, i decided to upgrade two small double radiators which were located in a room which had been...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an 20yrs heat only potterton 50e boiler with 196x old house - suspended floor - designer radiators, open vent system and hot water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock