• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Sink drain pipe: how to I remove stuck drain body/tailpiece? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Replacing a 1970-ish pedestal sink and I can't figure out how to remove the original drain piece from the pipe. It seems to be completely seized in place. If you look at the image below, you can see the drain piece (1) and what appears to be a lock nut (2).

I've been trying to unscrew the drain piece counter-clockwise. I also tried moving the lock nut clockwise. I tried WD40 on both and gently tapping with a hammer but they just won't budge.

I really don't want to have to cut the pipe. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

Stigster

Esteemed
Plumber
Have you been trying to do this by hand or have you had any tools on it? Either two pairs of grips, one on the metal basin waste and one on the plastic nut. They do unscrew anti-clockwise. If you don't have two pairs of grips (aka water pump pliers) you can stick a long enough screwdriver through the slots in the metal waste and brace against that whilst unscrewing the plastic nut with a pair of grips.

The problem is the thread may be or get knackered on the plastic part when you do finally undo it. Cutting the pipe and joining on to it with an appropriately sized mechanical (compression, multifit) coupling would be no real problem. Most likely to be 32mm (1 1/4")

rpm

Esteemed
Plumber
Problem is we don`t know what was used to seal it. Should be straight forward however people can use whatever is to hand if it was a diy Sunday afternoon job. Cut the pipe if you really have to, it`s no big deal as Stigster said.

centralheatking

Esteemed
Plumber
Replacing a 1970-ish pedestal sink and I can't figure out how to remove the original drain piece from the pipe. It seems to be completely seized in place. If you look at the image below, you can see the drain piece (1) and what appears to be a lock nut (2).

I've been trying to unscrew the drain piece counter-clockwise. I also tried moving the lock nut clockwise. I tried WD40 on both and gently tapping with a hammer but they just won't budge.

I really don't want to have to cut the pipe. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

People use all sorts of glues, sealants to seal leaky wastes, looks like you have bashed up the basin to get to where you are, some even use epoxy stuff. To ensure a good leak free new job carefully cut the black waste pipe half way down. Use solvent weld pipe and a nice new trap and waste. If you dont it might return to bite you in the bum. centralheatking

Thanks for replies and help guys. I bought a new waste trap - ended up cutting the pipe as suggested and fitting a reducer (1.5" down to 1.25") with pipe weld. It worked out really well.

Reply to Sink drain pipe: how to I remove stuck drain body/tailpiece? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net