Search the forum,

Discuss silicon around bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marsaday

I have built a bath frame around my bath and it is all tiled and grouted. Do i need to add a silicon bead around the bath where it meets the tile. The cuts all look good so i was thinking i just dont need any silicon here. Also not much water is going to try and penetrate this join.

What do you think.

Yes would be best to put silicone; it's will get splashed, especially if there are kids!
Also, there will be movement between the bath and tiles and the grout will crack.

Last edited:
Always silicone, use a good quality one.

Any slight movement you'll get a bit of water, my girlfriend wallows in the bath like a big fat hippo so I use silicone everywhere.............

Defo silicone it aswell as grout mate, it WILL get wet and the grout WILL crack due to movement.

, my girlfriend wallows in the bath like a big fat hippo so I use silicone everywhere.............[/QUOTE]

Take it she dont read your posts :)

, my girlfriend wallows in the bath like a big fat hippo so I use silicone everywhere.............

Take it she dont read your posts :)[/QUOTE]

Only over my shoulder, so I need to be careful, I think she's stuck in the bath. To watch her get out is like an episode of survival, the one with the crocodile attacking the wilderbeast.........

Oops.....

will do ta.

i have the mapei grout coloured silicon to match my grout - limestone. they gave me it today at al murad when i bought a few more tiles to finish off the shower tiling.

You can get silicone with built in 'microban' to prevent it going black.

Make sure you've got a couple of mm between the tiles and the bath so you can squeeze silicone into the gap. No use whatsoever in filling the gap with grount and silicone on top.

Do you know WHPES I was about to say the exact same thing.

You must have at least a 2mm gap, if the tiles but up to the bath this is wrong.

And fill the bath before siliconing the join, let it go off before letting the water out.
This way the silicone is usually under compression rather than being stretched, it's less likely to give way under movement and leak. :)

yeah needs a seal deffo, 2 seals if you have or are to do it properly. bath should have been put in, and prior to tiling onto siliconed along the edge to all walls it was butted to. tile down onto bath surface leaving a 1-2mm gap grouted and then sealed again. well that my way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to silicon around bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi advise on the best anti mould white silicone for around bath, I know none will stop it completely
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have a Mira agile/pronta shower mixer valve attached to a tiled wall. It doesn't say in the manual but do you need to silicone around the periphery of the mixer where it meets the tiled wall? Or are they internally sealed or doesn't matter if water seeps into it from splashing etc...
Replies
Views
Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock