Search the forum,

Discuss Shower issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Had a call earlier today saying I've caused a leak on a triton mixer bar shower because i forgot to fit two washers. I fitted it last week and at the time i left nothing was leaking ironic that i also checked the dial at the meter and all was good there as well.
Customer phoned and said they noticed damp appearing past the tiled cubicle first and called the builder in ,and from that point it has been said that i didn't fit two washers.
Now the only washers i can think of are the two on the nuts behind the shower mixer bar.Now i remember dropping one when fitting it and picking it up and putting them in again. Problem being is that they are saying that the whole wall is now damaged tiles /plaster board stud work needs addressing but i have been called after to say its my fault .

Initially i said ok apologies etc but after thought is hang on a mo so what you guys think?

If you don't fit those washers, with or without filters water will spray out when the showers turned on

I did a swap last year, turned water on, went to bathroom & got a cold shower myself as I didn't put washers in. I tried tightening the nuts while water in but it wouldn't seal.

So, I reckon they're talking bollux

If you forget the washers you know it as soon as water is on.

My thoughts for what they are worth are ......

1) Why didn`t they call you, why the builder?
2) Is it the builder saying the washers are missing?
3) With no washers surely it would **** water out straight away so how come a week later you get the call?
4) Is this one of your "late" paying customers?
5) What could they gain by being naughty here?

Last edited:
That's pretty much my thoughts on this you notice it quick if the washers are missing .

Also I am quite certain I out the washers on as I can recall dropping them when in the cubicle and putting them in again.
Just all seems rather odd that I have been told no washers a week later and all this damage has happened.

If you didnt fit the washers then water would have been leaking from day one. It would have leaked inside the wet area though so shouldnt cause a problem.

Sounds wrong to me, especially if you didnt get the chance to look at it. Take it you just did the plumbing bits?

What do most builders know about plumbing in showers anyway?

It'll end up looking like this

tumblr_o6t98xpb9x1qzhjh2o1_500.jpg

You need to go and have a look before they try and do anything else.

Certainly sounds like what they are saying is wrong, as without those washers it would never have sealed.

If the builder has repaired it then it is too late. Let them take you to small claims over it as if you were not allowed to rectify the problem then it's not your responsibility.

A company I used to work for had something similar a pipe burst and they got someone else in who said it was out companies fault it got thrown out because our company wasn't allowed to see the fault.

My feeling is if they allow you to take a look at the shower now, then do so.
Take plenty of photos when they are not looking.
Then if you are satisfied your original work was fine, do put everything in writing to them, but very politely.
In your letters, emails or texts (a combination won't do any harm) try to sound as if you are an excellent bloke and professional tradesperson who wants to resolve their issue. First letter try to get the customer to agree they had a builder at it by asking about what washers the builder mentioned. But be sure in follow up letter to drop in heavily about there appears to be nothing wrong with your install and mention the builder having tampered with it.
If it goes to Small Claims Court you need proof - all on paper

What do they want from you?

Probably the usual, - a full apology, some work redone including any slight damage, plus some compensation and a pound of his flesh. :smile:
Let's hope they are basically decent.

Probably the usual, - a full apology, some work redone including any slight damage, plus some compensation and a pound of his flesh. :smile:
Let's hope they are basically decent.

To be fair they are a bit thick however he is a tamperer which has kind of arranged my suspicion.
They are basically asking for the damage to be repaired.

To be fair they are a bit thick however he is a tamperer which has kind of arranged my suspicion.
They are basically asking for the damage to be repaired.

First find out what washers their builder said was missing.
If you know you fitted them, then time for the second, still polite letter.
Maybe the customer took it apart for some reason and unknowingly caused the leak, so they brought a builder in who finds washers missing.

First find out what washers their builder said was missing.
If you know you fitted them, then time for the second, still polite letter.
Maybe the customer took it apart for some reason and unknowingly caused the leak, so they brought a builder in who finds washers missing.

I am thinking that maybe cust took shower off for grouting however can't get hold of builder as yet.

UPDATE

Spoke to the builder late last night , he turned up initially to pick up a hole saw kit he left behind and noticed the leak. The customers story tho is different to the builders , the builder has said that two olives on the shroud kit were not compressed. He also said that he tried to compress them as he thought i missed it but they just don't grip the pipe .

Anyone ever had olives that don't grip properly??

UPDATE
Anyone ever had olives that don't grip properly??

Yes, some brass olives are made of far too hard a brass.
I always compress every olive and check it. I know that sounds over the top, but it is surprising how many times I find the olive hasn't compressed despite some force used to tighten nut. Particularly with fittings that are not what you are used to.

Had a call earlier today saying I've caused a leak on a triton mixer bar shower because i forgot to fit two washers. I fitted it last week and at the time i left nothing was leaking ironic that i also checked the dial at the meter and all was good there as well.
Customer phoned and said they noticed damp appearing past the tiled cubicle first and called the builder in ,and from that point it has been said that i didn't fit two washers.
Now the only washers i can think of are the two on the nuts behind the shower mixer bar.Now i remember dropping one when fitting it and picking it up and putting them in again. Problem being is that they are saying that the whole wall is now damaged tiles /plaster board stud work needs addressing but i have been called after to say its my fault .

Initially i said ok apologies etc but after thought is hang on a mo so what you guys think?

How comes the builder says there aren't washers in ? Without turning water off and checking the tap they can't judge ...

Something just doesn't add up mate. If they didn't nip up properly I would still have expected that you couldve seen a leak at the time? Which you would've seen prior to screwing on the shrouds?

Do you know the builder is he trustworthy?

Yes, some brass olives are made of far too hard a brass.
I always compress every olive and check it. I know that sounds over the top,

I do the same, compress and check but then I`m just paranoid about the little blighters leaking tbh.

Something just doesn't add up mate. If they didn't nip up properly I would still have expected that you couldve seen a leak at the time? Which you would've seen prior to screwing on the shrouds?

Do you know the builder is he trustworthy?

Builder is good,

He was the one that said the olives were faulty , he tried himself to compress and they wouldn't grip pipe properly .

The customer was on about washers .

I do the same, compress and check but then I`m just paranoid about the little blighters leaking tbh.

I am afraid a pipe will pull out of a fitting, that's why I check them and then paste and retighten. It was the way I was always taught and it has allowed me to stand by any compression joints I do and I don't worry later. If a joint did have a slight weep when water turned on, it just needed slightly nipped up more.
I would rather have confidence in the work I can visually see, rather than just using my experience of 'feel' of how much to tighten a nut. We can all make mistakes otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock