Search the forum,

Discuss Shower either boiling or freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victoriahl

Hi!
I've just had a new shower installed but I can either get only boiling hot or freezing cold water- there's no 'mixing' available.
This was exactly how my old bath/shower that was taken out used to be as well.
The plumber seems to think it's a boiler problem but if it was, surely my sink and my other en suite shower would have the same issue?
From googling it looks like it might be installed the wrong way round or something- does that sound right?
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks Victoria

Hi!

Thanks for answering; not sure what you mean by 'are the supplies balance' but yes it's thermostatic...

I would suggest checking the supplies are the correct way round. If it's a thermostatic shower and you've got cold going in the hot end it will pull more and more hot water (going in the 'cold' end) to try and mix it down to the correct temp!

If the cold and hot pressures are unbalanced (ie mains cold water, tank hot water) the mains cold will overwhelm the hot through giving you a cold shower until the thermostatic element moves far enough so that it starts letting the hot through, by which time there isn't enough cold to keep it at the right temp and it goes too hot. One sort-of-fix is to turn down the cold isolating valve to reduce the flow, but better to put in a pressure reducing valve if getting a higher pressure hot isn't an option.

Thanks for the replies! I'll show someone who knows more about plumbing than I do (ie anyone) and hopefully I can get it sorted.
Do you think there's something wrong with the way it's installed inside, because my old bath (that's been taken out) had the same problem; you could turn the hot tap on and get super hot water but as soon as you tried to add a slight bit of cold, it just went freezing?

Hi

The bath used to have mixer taps. My new one does too (the shower is over the bath) and it's the same problem as the shower- I can't get a mix of waters; just scalding hot or freezing cold...
And I've got a combi boiler- but surely if it was a boiler problem my other shower would be affected too?

Hi

The bath used to have mixer taps. My new one does too (the shower is over the bath) and it's the same problem as the shower- I can't get a mix of waters; just scalding hot or freezing cold...
And I've got a combi boiler- but surely if it was a boiler problem my other shower would be affected too?

From this I take it the combi does both showers? Are they both the same type of shower valve? (what make?) Have you checked both have hot/cold connections the same? One thought: what is your mains pressure like? If you have very high mains pressure it could be the valve doesn't like high pressure differences between hot and cold as the combi will reduce the hot water pressure.

As above, if its a combi your supplies should be balanced, so sounds like the hot and colds are the wrong way round. What shower valve is it, sometimes you can spin the cartridge around is the supplies have been plumbed in back to front?

Either that or you've been super unlucky and its got a duff thermostatic cartridge in it

Thanks everyone for the advice- I'm showing it all to someone who'll understand it better than me tomorrow and hopefully it'll be sorted!

Please register with us to receive additional answers to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower either boiling or freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock