Search the forum,

Discuss setting up self-employed, advice/experiance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumben

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I've just finished my 3rd year got one left for my gas, I would really appreciate your advice on stating out and setting up (my current boss isn't the best for advice)
ive already got the majority of tools ive got my own traffic van that I use for work with my current boss, we do all aspects of work not just plumbing, I've already had some cards printed that I give out for foreigners, what's your advice on setting up as a business, insurance, work uniform, advertising, ecsetra
thanks

have a slight uniform my customers know I will be in work trousers usually snickers 100's and a polo with a logo on keep your pricing the same for me im not the cheapest by a long shot but not the dearest too but I keep it more or less constant depending on what your expecting set up as a standard self employed person to begin with and shop round for insurance I don't advertise at all so cant comment on that im afraid but the other trades I know look the part because they link it all with social media

I've just finished my 3rd year got one left for my gas, I would really appreciate your advice on stating out and setting up (my current boss isn't the best for advice)
ive already got the majority of tools ive got my own traffic van that I use for work with my current boss, we do all aspects of work not just plumbing, I've already had some cards printed that I give out for foreigners, what's your advice on setting up as a business, insurance, work uniform, advertising, ecsetra
thanks

I’ll probably get whipped for saying this, but you should be showing some loyalty to your current boss, and giving him at least 10 years…six as a thank you.
Small wonder he’s not being too helpful with advice on going it alone and becoming competition when he’s put you through all.
Sorry. Just my humble opinion. No offence meant.

The best way to go self employed initially is work real hard..........for your boss Mon-Friday and yourself all other times and holidays. Build up your customer base over a year or so.

Eventually you wont have time to work for your boss and thats when you leave. If things slacken off stay friends with him he might want you back as a sub-contractor as he will know your work and trusts you.

Try NOT to steal his customers but build your own up. Remember getting that first job with a customer is the hardest bit so doing a good job and getting repeat and their friends business is vital only big companies can afford advertising campagnes to genertate new business. Word of mouth is best and 'grey money' wrinklies have lots and like honest reliable tradesman.

You have got a truck and the paper tickets so seem almost there - well done CHK

First thing to remember is competing for work is a sackable offence so don't involve your current boss in your intentions unless your sure he's fine with it. Next you will need to register with hmrc, get public liability insurance, business insurance for your van etc...... Then as chk suggested start doing your own work at weekends and build it from there.

My advice would be to stay working for a company for a few years build up your confidence and experiance, even though you never know everything the more experiance you gain the more likely you are to overcome problems quickly and if you do make a mistake it is not you it is financially affecting.

I dont know your age but another thing that goes against you when you work for yourself is if you are young people will look at that and think you havent got alot of experiance. I went SE when I was 21-22 and alot of people commented on my age and look at how many adverts say 10+ years experiance as people look at that. Take advantage of no responsibility (As in once you are home you are done and not doing paperwork) And use companies like they use you by getting as many qualifications swap and change jobs to learn new skills and speak to other people as you will pick up more. Throw as much money as you can afford into a savings account even £20 a week for a few years could cover rent/mortgage for 6 months if you can afford more then do it.

As AW says it is usually a sackable offence to compete for work (out of the 13 companies I have worked for atleast 10 had that in the contract) so if you start you might end up having to go fully self employed before you can afford or want to.

One thing you have to remember before going on your own is exactly that,your on your own.Can you handle the work on your own? You won"t have the beauty of your boss sending you another plumber to give you a lift with a rad or boiler.If your doing repairs & maintenance that"s fine but your limiting your scope.

Hi there I recently went self employed I didn't have the opportunity to work for boss during week and do my own stuff evenings and weekends due to the fact I am on a small island and it
would have got messy with boss ie Icouldnt travel to other areas to work,So I jumped straight into
self employment which was okay initially but now has slowed down summers are quiet here 70% of properties here are holiday homes and hotels.cant wait till autumn.
If I were you I would take CHKs advice and build up a customer base first if its possible for you to do this... whatever you do all the best.

I’ll probably get whipped for saying this, but you should be showing some loyalty to your current boss, and giving him at least 10 years…six as a thank you.
Small wonder he’s not being too helpful with advice on going it alone and becoming competition when he’s put you through all.
Sorry. Just my humble opinion. No offence meant.

No offence taken, and yes totally agree about showing loyalty but im not employed have no contract or legal document,
And he wont be employing me once I've got my qualifications, ill still be working with him ill just have to set up on my own but hes no good for advice unfortunately

Look almost all my fellas work for themselves at weekends and in the evening
I really dont care - often they use my diesel and my trucks and get the company discounts
so long as they pay cash ! Sometimes I drive thro N Liverpool suburb and see one of my vans
on a Sunday.

Who cares they are on balance good fellas CHKing

Hi Brum

I stupidly assumed you were in Birmingham --durr so come on spill the beans
which delightfull small island off the coast of Scotland do you plumb ?

It sounds ideal but like where is your plumbers merchant etc you must have to
carry loads of stock just like Ray Stafford does!

Centralheatking ,
Hi there I recently went self employed I didn't have the opportunity to work for boss during week and do my own stuff evenings and weekends due to the fact I am on a small island and it
would have got messy with boss ie Icouldnt travel to other areas to work,So I jumped straight into
self employment which was okay initially but now has slowed down summers are quiet here 70% of properties here are holiday homes and hotels.cant wait till autumn.
If I were you I would take CHKs advice and build up a customer base first if its possible for you to do this... whatever you do all the best.

Hi Brum

I stupidly assumed you were in Birmingham --durr so come on spill the beans
which delightfull small island off the coast of Scotland do you plumb ?

It sounds ideal but like where is your plumbers merchant etc you must have to
carry loads of stock just like Ray Stafford does!

Centralheatking ,

Hi CHK when I was in Birmingham I was just called Mark,Dad or Bawbag.
I moved to the Isle of Arran in 2002 and for some unknown reason adopted the nickname of brum even complete strangers will phone and say hello is that brum this is how the name stuck and where ever I go am addressed by this
I find it pretty cool.They are very very friendly and it is a very laid back place to live.
I think that you letting your guys do their own thing and using your trucks is very commendable ,Although you are the exception rather than the rule,fair play to you these guys should and probably do appreciate this.
Regarding stock I am operating on a shoestring but do get stock in that sits on shelf till needed I have no credit accounts and everything is purchased via internet suppliers

Cool 'Isle of Arran' going to run it down on internet right now. To go there from Birmingham
I suspect maybe a woman might be involved if not why ? Chking

Service boilers every 25 days. Because of the ..... Sea air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to setting up self-employed, advice/experiance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm having issues with my wireless Honeywell thermostat. It's sat in the living room, set at 18C currently. It makes my Worcester Greenstar 18Ri to short cycle. So, the moment it gets cold outside my boiler works for about a minute, then stops, and starts again in about 5 minutes, then...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock