Search the forum,

Discuss Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gizmo.man

I really want to go self employed As a plumber
But don't know where to start or look. Where to advertise

I take it you're employed as a plumber atm, so its probably worth putting the hours in and working self employed in your spare time (weekends, evenings etc) It'll be hard work but while doing that you build a customer base of your own, get a name for yourself as a one man band and get some secure earnings as well.

Contact your local Business Gateway and they will help you with everything. They run free business courses and offer free ongoing help and advice to your business.

i would advertise in local rags and internet find a tradesman and so on get contract work with letting agents and word of mouth is good if your a honest trades man who does a top job as people always remember the bad plumbers and starting out is hard work but hope it goes well for you

Contact your local Business Gateway and they will help you with everything. They run free business courses and offer free ongoing help and advice to your business.

just checked and the one coming up is scotland??? or am i looking in the wrong place?

google them adding your area to the search should come up then

Thanks for your reply. I have been working alongside
A gas man for 3 years and he's packed me in
And I have decent enought experience and
Confidence just don't know where to start
Or the know how. In considering yellow pages
To advertise.

In Scotland it is known as the Business Gateway and they have offices all over Scotland helping businesses to get started and funded. It is a superb organisation.

In England it is known as Business Link, I don't know much about them or if they have offices and are as widespread as our own version but go and have a look. The website is here:
Business support, information and advice | Business Link

Then why bother replying? Why bother even being
On a forum? And as for luck I don't need yours. And if I did need luck
Believe me I wouldn't want it off u!

Thank you for all positive replies. Help is always
Appreciated.

believe us when we say there are dozens of people wanting work/placements/unpaid experience every month. just do a search on the forums. there isn't the work around at the moment.

Yeah suppose there isn't enough work around. I've been looking for a year or so
But I think for now I'm better off on HGVs. Nothing much out there at the min
And I hate call centre/office desk jobs. Only reason I went or plumbing is because I love
Working with my hands.

if thats your attatude to people who,ve been there and done it then carnt wait for a few months down the line when your skint and moaning on here theres no work and youre in peoples houses getting grief will you be as ignorant to them dont think you will last long

this works for me

yellow pages
yell.com
my own website
parish magazines

as well as working with your hands do you like

bookeeping
doing your accounts
preparing quotes
invoices
chasing non paying customers
marketing
maintaining your customer database
lots of lovely paperwork

as has been said there is not much work around (apart from paperwork) and judging by the news its only going to get more difficult

I am familiar with all that paperwork and chasing around non payments
And I'm not looking to make mega £££s
Just something little extra to keep afloat really.
I know things are bad out there.

That aint the way to get good advice remember when u wanna come back and start asking questions people may well remember your attitude

If you just want something little extra to keep afloat you'd be better off working in a supermarket (if you can get a job there) you get contracted to a certain amount of hours, and if they can't give you that many they still have to pay you for them, you're guaranteed National Minimum Wage and most have good schemes where you work your way up to managerial positions and nice bonuses.

As a self employed plumber (specially starting out) you'll work every hour possible, be constantly tired, struggling even more so to keep afloat (setting up costs) and I doubt you'd be making enough after NI contributions, van insurance, public liability, advertising etc you'll be making yourself national minimum wage. Its the wrong thing to be looking at if you only want to make a little extra. Sorry if this seems blunt/harsh but its the reality of it.

Well I think plumbing should be good for a career start I'm only 22
And I hate supermarket work or shop work they treat you like a dog

I don't think 3 years experience as a plumbers mate will get you far you need to be realistic there are a lot of good tradesmen out there struggling to find work. With things the way they are you'd be better off stacking shelves at tescos more job security and better pay.

A dog can crap and doesnt have to clean it up. A human can crap and a plumber has to clean it up.

Only 22? That isn't only, you're going up against 1000's of 16/17/18 year olds who all think its a good career to start. I'm one of them in a way, although I knew it's really hard to get into before I started learning at college, I got into it because I want a trade, want to become a property developer and have always been interested in plumbing.

They may treat you like a dog, but there are certain rules they have to adhere to, and you can take it up with them and they have to listen. You'll come across so many customers that'll treat you badly, and you have a couple of options, 1. Ignore it, continue with the job (No offence but looking at your posts you wouldn't do that) 2. Continue the job but take it up with the customer. (They'll either apologise and just were being thoughtless or they're actually like that in day to day life and they'll tell you to F off.) or 3. You walk away from the job. Lost out on money there, probably made a loss after a quotation, travelling to and from etc.

Its hard. Do not be fooled by people who say it isn't. They see it with rose tinted glasses or see older guys doing well and not having as much of this rubbish. They've been in the game for donkeys years and worked through all this and built a good reputation. It will not fall into place overnight, it'll take years of hard work.

Don't get snappy with posters, ask for the advice even though you won't like it. If you don't just thank them and mull it over, weigh up the pros and cons of the trade then decide if it is actually what you want to do or if it's just a bit of a whim.

I hope this helps you out, Regards, Sam.

I'd recommend that you look at training in ceramic tiling. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance. Try the Tilers Forum link at the top of the page and someone there will advise you.

Did you try Business Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock