Discuss Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 22? That isn't only, you're going up against 1000's of 16/17/18 year olds who all think its a good career to start. I'm one of them in a way, although I knew it's really hard to get into before I started learning at college, I got into it because I want a trade, want to become a property developer and have always been interested in plumbing.

They may treat you like a dog, but there are certain rules they have to adhere to, and you can take it up with them and they have to listen. You'll come across so many customers that'll treat you badly, and you have a couple of options, 1. Ignore it, continue with the job (No offence but looking at your posts you wouldn't do that) 2. Continue the job but take it up with the customer. (They'll either apologise and just were being thoughtless or they're actually like that in day to day life and they'll tell you to F off.) or 3. You walk away from the job. Lost out on money there, probably made a loss after a quotation, travelling to and from etc.

Its hard. Do not be fooled by people who say it isn't. They see it with rose tinted glasses or see older guys doing well and not having as much of this rubbish. They've been in the game for donkeys years and worked through all this and built a good reputation. It will not fall into place overnight, it'll take years of hard work.

Don't get snappy with posters, ask for the advice even though you won't like it. If you don't just thank them and mull it over, weigh up the pros and cons of the trade then decide if it is actually what you want to do or if it's just a bit of a whim.

I hope this helps you out, Regards, Sam.

I'd recommend that you look at training in ceramic tiling. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance. Try the Tilers Forum link at the top of the page and someone there will advise you.

Did you try Business Link?

I know it's a very difficult task, however I don't like quitting
I will keep at it until I get somewhere with this. I really do want a trade for my self
Just like many others. But I'm sure one day my persistence will pay off.

Yes I can get a bit snappy but in a good Way

I'd recommend that you look at training in ceramic tiling. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance. Try the Tilers Forum link at the top of the page and someone there will advise you.

ÂŁ25 per square meter ,most dont break the tiles off nor even carry the tiles into the kitchen bathroom etc ,the ones i know easy earn over ÂŁ700+ per week,
best of it is its not even a trade !!!

If you were working with a gas guy for 3 years why did you not think about qualifications earlier?
It would have been easier to do while you were working.
Why did he bump you?
Short of work or short of patience?

I know a tiler, he's bloomin good, having to turn work down but has that old problem of too much work to do by himself but not enough to take someone else on and guarantee that he'll always have work for them unfortunately.

I know it's a very difficult task, however I don't like quitting
I will keep at it until I get somewhere with this. I really do want a trade for my self
Just like many others. But I'm sure one day my persistence will pay off.

Yes I can get a bit snappy but in a good Way

That first part is a very good attitude, the second part not so great. How can you be snappy in a good way, surely its better to stay calm and put a point across in a civil and polite manner?

Whats to stop you getting snappy with a customer when they keep asking the same question and can't get there head round the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views
I run a small plumbing and heating company. I am looking for a commercial gas engineer to help out with a few call outs, servicing, safety checks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock