Discuss sealing around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yamahamark

Hi guys

Eon recently serviced system boiler located in converted garage now a room.
Flue got damaged during renovation but replaced by gas safe engineer, however the whole around it wasnt sealed so you can feel a draft from the wall cavity.

I need to seal the whole around the flue pipe, so can i use expanding foam or does it have to be mortar?

Thanks

Yeah was just thinking foam quicker, easier and less mess.

Looks like i'll do what you suggested although its a bit awkward getting in with a trowel.

Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carefull using too much foam cos it will spew everywhere when it expands.

Can i take it theres no issue or gas reg restricting use of foam as dont want eon moaning at next service.

I have used this stuff before on the odd occasion so understand not to squirt too much out!

Should have a fire guard plate and sealed with intumescent fire cement.

I wouldn't use expanding foam. I once saw a flue sealed with expanding foam and the foam warped and disturbed the flue joint. Admittidly the joint was screwed but still it wasn't a pretty site.

any suitable seal that meets the fire rating of the wall and the manufacturers instructions should be fine. Sand a cement is the best option really, easy to mess with in the future also when you have a new boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sealing around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock