Search the forum,

Discuss Saniflo discharge pipe question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greasemonkey

First off, I'm new here. But not new to forums as a medium for communicating etc....
So Hi :D

I have read the documents and FAQ at Saniflo but can't find any 'why' to the given directions, that seem to imply that if you go Vertically with the waste, you must do that first.

I have a diagram of what I need to achieve
SUSE Paste

I welcome your comments

welcome to the house of fun , what do you manufacturer instructions say you can have

welcome to the house of fun , what do you manufacturer instructions say you can have

:)
Here is a crop from one of their pdf's
SUSE Paste

But if I put a "horizontal" in but with a rise (as in my earlier diagram)

I just don't understand the logic of the instructions.
If it's all vertical rise until you reach the drop off point, what difference will it make if part of it is as in my diag?

Thanks

the pump will only lift to what they say in mi;s any horizontal runs reduce the lift capabilities must confess weve taken some horrendous liberties with saniflow outlet runs but youve got to be prepared to rip it all out if it doesnt work
as its all in cheap o/f its not the end of the world to try it
but if it isnt as their instructions forget the guarantee

Are you implying I could do better than Saniflo as choice ?

Yes. I understand the blurb...
:D

Follow the MIs

Use obtuse elbows rather than right angle ones. 22mm solvent weld pipe is what is used for the discharge.

What you have to watch with saniflos is that the rubber connectors on the unit are very tight as some are just provided with cable ties which aren't enough. Use jubilee clips but do be careful not to overtighten.

Also make sure there's no way that rodents can get to the pipe or if they chew it it can make an awful unpleasant mess (I have seen this happen)

Follow the MIs

Use obtuse elbows rather than right angle ones. 22mm solvent weld pipe is what is used for the discharge.

What you have to watch with saniflos is that the rubber connectors on the unit are very tight as some are just provided with cable ties which aren't enough. Use jubilee clips but do be careful not to overtighten.

Also make sure there's no way that rodents can get to the pipe or if they chew it it can make an awful unpleasant mess (I have seen this happen)
That's useful advice - Thanks

No rodents here, just an old dog and a pig to crack the whip :D
I was planning on 32mm, is that overkill?
The unit is supplied with Jubilee clips (It's a sanislim unit)

if you have the space for 32mm then go for it, look at the chart which will tell you how high and long you can go with each different pipe diameter

Don't use 32mm pushfit like I saw last year. Very messy :) Have seen it done in blue alkathene before (25mm) all in one from unit to discharge.

Don't use 32mm pushfit like I saw last year. Very messy :) Have seen it done in blue alkathene before (25mm) all in one from unit to discharge.

Push fit LOL

Thanks everyone
Great help here.

we did about 50ft above a ceiling grid in and office block for one of the sink pumps in one piece of 22mm hep
generally you need to go up then fall all the way to drains

I prefer to pipe the outlet in 22mm o/flow, you get a much faster flow through it and that keeps the pipework cleaner. You need the full power of the pump to lift the discharge vertically and so having a horizontal run first will reduce that power. Whether it will reduce it to the point of failure, well thats the difficult part. You could pipe it up and try it, it might be okay but who's to say it will still work in six months time when everything is getting gummed up with effluent.
Personally i'm always reluctant to go against whats recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water has a specific weight, the machine is designed by accountants & sized in the lab in France to lift Only a cirtain weight of dirty water containing paper,
Deviate too far from the instructions as many have done in the past and found out the hard way that the machine had only a finite run time before it overheats the basic Sainflo & Top used to be under 2 min run time before it thermally overloaded and cut out, The maximum run time in correctly installed 22mm id pipe is around 15 seconds. 20 seconds or more and the pipe work is very long or has a restriction.

Good engineers do a motor run test to determine how good the unit is the older it gets or if it has been incorrectly installed the maximum motor run time is drastically shortened and finally it stops.

remember also that the majority of overflow pipe is not 22mm inside diameter some of it is as little as 16mm and I once saw a saniflo engineer install machines in 22 mm pipe but keep changing machines under warranty when I cut into the discharge pipe it had less than 15mm inside diameter,
He bought a job lot of cheep pipe from France !!

Domestic macerators are not constant run.
So to sum up clear the machine climb vertically to the highest point and use a Gravity fall all the way to the soil pipe do not use a secondary lift and the machine will work for years with no problems.

32mm is too large - the pump will struggle and you may flood when some runs back after the cycle.

If you use alkathene you can't use any couplings as there must be no restrictions to the bore (eg plastic inserts) anywhere along it. You can't use any form of pushfit system.

First check the instructions for the machine you are thinking of installing on the web site or ring the Technical help line for the machine as 32mm may not be too large,

Saniflo have changed the specification and design of the machines a standard saniflo that worked in 22mm only and not able to pump verticaly has now been upgraded to pump vertically in 22, 28 or 32mm discharge pipe work so it can be confusing and since the machine has a Non Return valve fitted in the outlet from the machine no water should be able to flow back and reactivate the machine if installed correctly.

Have not played with saniflows for many years but I suspect horizontal sections should fall away from unit, and hance drain - can't do that with a verical section 'above' them full of liquid - placing big load on pump each time it starts ... just thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Saniflo discharge pipe question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock