Discuss resistance in components in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
This question is just for general knowledge and not asking on how to perform a particular task on on a boiler.

Do all the boilers have the same resistance in their components? for example will a working thermistors have a resistance between 1200-1300 ohms or does it vary between manufacturers?

If they are more or less the same, is there some kind of list with given resistance available for all components out there somewhere?

There is a list kicking around somewhere

varies hugely by components

Thermistors are the main ones to check.
they come in NTC and PTC
thats negative/positive temperature coefficient
Positive has the resistance increase on temperature rise where as negative resistance will decrease as temperature rises
they are given values at say 25 degrees and 60 degrees
they are listed as say 7k or 10k resisters
never mix and match thermistors from boilers unless you know they are the same type.

Most you will come across are NTC as they are more reliable :)

If a component gives a resistance of 0 you can put money on it has gone open circuit and is goosed, dead giveaway on solenoids

Do all boilers have the PCB do a preliminary check on the thermistors initial value prior to commencing the fan, pump sequence ?? If this is the case a list of thermisitor 'ranges' would be really useful for diagnostics. I imagine many a PCB has been replaced in error because of out of range sensors.

There is a list kicking around somewhere

varies hugely by components

Thermistors are the main ones to check.
they come in NTC and PTC
thats negative/positive temperature coefficient
Positive has the resistance increase on temperature rise where as negative resistance will decrease as temperature rises
they are given values at say 25 degrees and 60 degrees
they are listed as say 7k or 10k resisters
never mix and match thermistors from boilers unless you know they are the same type.

Most you will come across are NTC as they are more reliable :)

If a component gives a resistance of 0 you can put money on it has gone open circuit and is goosed, dead giveaway on solenoids

Its in the gsr only forum

If you know anyone in British gas, they usually get all the top manufacturer info regarding technical stuff. I only worked as a subbie on servicing whilst I was there, I was always trying to wangle a lappy off them.

If you know anyone in British gas, they usually get all the top manufacturer info regarding technical stuff. I only worked as a subbie on servicing whilst I was there, I was always trying to wangle a lappy off them.

Thats where the list came from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to resistance in components in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am new to the forum and certainly not a plumber so please forgive me if my questions are particularly stupid. 1) I am renovating a house...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank...
Replies
Views
I'm sure this is an old question but here goes. I'm looking for some advice regarding switching from a conventional boiler to a combi. I moved...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock