Discuss Replacing a Grundfos 15-50 pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve0209

Hi there, i have just joined to see if i can get some help.
Firstly the pilot wouldnt stay alight on the boiler and couldnt afford to get fixed, so it stayed unfixed for around a year.
Now its fixed, the heating wouldnt come on, checked the pump and it wasnt circulating.
so i have bought a new pump and put it on.
The problem im having now is that it seems there is no water getting to the pump. What have i done wrong?
Many thanks for any help.

probably an airlock! is the pump working? can you feel it vibrate when its energised. did you bleed the pump? did you reopen any pump union lockshields?

Hi yes the pump is vibrating, and i bled the pump, i also bled the radiators. Could the airlock be in the header tank? Do i need to flush the radiators? Thanks for your response.

is pump fitted in the right direction?

have you opened the motorized valves to allow the full circuit to fill?

Ok first of all i fitted it exactly the same as th one i took off, but then when it wouldnt work i changed it, but have now turned it back to the original position. What is the motorized valve you mentioned please? I have checked the header tank, all seems ok up there. Sorry for all the questions, thought i could fix this myself without having to pay a fortune.

Is the water actually flowing from the header tank? Sometimes the feed pipe gets blocked where it tees into the circuit.

Is the water actually flowing from the header tank? Sometimes the feed pipe gets blocked where it tees into the circuit.

this can be checked with a magnet on the tee as a blockage here will be magnetic from radiator corrosion

ive had this before many many times, blocked feed is often the issue, hence will not fill. as kay jay says use a magnet or drain down cut out anyway

Hi i have checked the tee with a magnet and yes it is magnetic. So one more question please, how do i clear the blockage? Thanks for your help

Cut the pipes at about 8" from the tee, get a screwdriver, poke all the dross out until perfectly clean, check the part of the feed pipe above for blockages and fit back ideally with solder fittings.

Last edited:
Hi i would just like to say thankyou to all that contributed to my post. I now have the central heating fully working, I couldnt have done it without your expert help and you have saved me a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a Grundfos 15-50 pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old Combi boiler for which the heating has stopped working. The hot water is fine, and I think I've isolated the problem to the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi i have a grundfos pump 25-50 130 p/n 59525418 radiators downstairs are cold and upstairs hot after an 1-hr 2 hrs then the downstairs gets hot...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just had my 15year old Grundfos UPS 15 50 replaced with an Alpha 1 and the Alpha 1 seems quite a bit noisier than the the old one, I...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock