Discuss Replacement Boiler installation! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DBuck

Just had a new boiler installed, apparently old one was knackered, but it wasn't actually that old, maybe 7 years. According to the repair man the previous one might not have had a flush through the system and it was now full of sludge!
Anyway, identical boiler replacement (Keston c36) and a flush... all for £2600 (here in London)! Looking on how much time he's spent here, it really does seem like a lot of money... any views? He did fit a limescale preventer (apparently for free!) and felt bad enough to install a wireless thermostat!
Sorry to ask here, but it seems like a friendly forum!
Thanks

how long did he spend there? did he do a powerflush or a chemical one.

how long did he spend there? did he do a powerflush or a chemical one.

Hi Steve, many thanks for this. It looks like it was a powerflush with chemicals... at a cost of £700. Even that seems a bit much! Then again,there were various bits of the boiler that really weren't working. He thinks that the previous installer (whom I did contact, but after a quick check he went away and was not to be seen again!) just put the boiler straight on to old pipework without cleaning anything! Hence the buildup of sludge in the last 7 years.

Ta

Hi Steve, many thanks for this. It looks like it was a powerflush with chemicals... at a cost of £700. Even that seems a bit much! Then again,there were various bits of the boiler that really weren't working. He thinks that the previous installer (whom I did contact, but after a quick check he went away and was not to be seen again!) just put the boiler straight on to old pipework without cleaning anything! Hence the buildup of sludge in the last 7 years.

Ta
so how long was he there

In theory two days... but I'm not sure they were really full days! Even so... is that the going rate for fitting a new boiler (identical) without any change to the pipework?

Many thanks for this, much appreciated!

i'm not sure on prices as not gas safe but there are plenty on here who are and will be along sooner or later to offer an opinion. several are from london as well.

Im not sure about the boiler price but i would charge 400 for flush and about 400 for installation but im talking north east prices

Ta

might of been better to look into questioning his quote prior to have the work done , am afraid if thats what was agreed then hee ho. look at it the other way if it had taken him four days would you of paid him double ?. the price to me for london seems low to be honest. best one to advise you would be safegasinstall

welcome to the forums to

I'm with bod you agreed the quote so you can't really do a lot about it. And bear in mind it's not just wages that have to be paid from his bill he also has running costs to think about.

I'd say that the power flush was expensive but the overall job doesn't sound way out.
Also depends where in London you live (congestion charge, parking etc).
You must have considered the price reasonable tho otherwise why did you accept it?

That does not sound to bad a price for a powerflush if it was done properly , regarding Keston ,you would have been better getting a new heat exchanger and having a magna cleaner fitted but hey ho its done now, good luck

Impossible to say if the price is ok or not without seeing the job, sometimes jobs are alot more complex than they appear to the untrained eye.

Are you happy with the result? You were obviously happy with the quote, as you gave him the go ahead to do the job. Why question the price now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement Boiler installation! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, I am the miserable owner of a Keston C36 boiler. It has had EVERYTHING on it replaced. My questions is, what do I replace it with and...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
I have a 3 port valve Y plan system, with a hot water tank in airing cupboard and a cold water feeder tank in loft. I want to replace the old 25+...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock