Discuss Renewables-Advice wanted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radswilldo

Have been watching the developement of this market for a number of years and cannot make up my mind as whether to get involved with the current products. Solar hot water, as far as I am concerned is a joke and GSHP will always be an eye watering niche. I do like ASHPs, though they involve a significant investment and their returns are best when installed for some one on electric. Where I am located, gas is plentiful, though there are a small number of oil/lpg villiages dotted about. I am constantly in contact with my federation tech regarding the 'Green deal', all is up in the air. What are my peer's thoughts.

Solar hot water is far from a joke it works well even in our climate the payback time is way too long though, as for renewables in general I like many others have lost interest what with Blue skies then MCS and competent person schemes, green deal etc all a load of nonsense that will cost a fortune for very little return.

if you live near london, go to the ideal home show at earls court, there are loads of sustainable and energy saving ideas. you can speak to the representatives and learn about all the new devices.

Their is also a Home building and Renovating show at the NEC 29 March - 1 April and Ecobuild is next week.

Thermal works well, have a few out there on natural gas systems, saving roughly ÂŁ250 a year on gas bills. At 3-4k install plus the ÂŁ300 grants they've had payback isnt bad.

Out of interest why would saving 60% of your hot water bill be a joke?

I think the joke is the installation cost vs. potential savings. Its just not affordable enough, which is a shame as the systems are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tell that to the people having them installed. They (and I) seem to think the numbers add up quite well.

That may be true if you live/work in an affluent area where people have the cash to front the installation. Otherwise it's a big investment for not much return. It's also not the kind of thing to invest in if you don't plan on staying in your property for much longer, so in small, cheap houses its simply not worth it as the cost of the install is a much higher percentage of the houses worth and will add not add significant resale value compared to other renovations for similar money.

It's good technology but the simple fact is, it needs to come down in price, as with most energy saving solutions.

FYI I'm not slamming solar, if I was settled in a home I knew I would stay in, I'd fit it in my own house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's also not the kind of thing to invest in if you don't plan on staying in your property for much longer

Why? It increase the property value, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Renewables-Advice wanted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Hi All I tried posting this already and lost post so here goes again. I'll start from the beginning so please bare with me. Few Months ago I...
Replies
Views
I am a DIYer that is looking to address piping under my en-suite floor, whilst I am undertaking a major re-ferb of the room. With reference to the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock