Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Removal of strap on boss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UncleTone

Hi all, I have looked on the forum for a bit of advice but I haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for. With this in mind please be aware I'm a DIY'er and my terminology may not be exact. OK.. On with the question. I have a strap on boss (into the soil stack) which I no longer need (it is the highest connector in the stack, not sure if this is relevant). My question is, can this be removed, it looks very glued into position... The purpose of removal over plugging is that it is sticking out a nice 2 inches from the stack (space I could really do with claiming back. I've read that I could try to prised the boss off with a bit of heat and a flat head screw driver, would this work?? Also there is nothing going in it's place (hence where my research fails). I want to seal it up, so what do I put there to make it air/water tight?? Is there any kits to seal such soil stack hole (permanent not temporary). As a part solution I was thinking maybe I could saw the boss connector (vertically) as close the stack as possible (leaving the strapping (and what appears to be tough glued stuff in place) seal it up in some way and then I'd only have to deal with say a 1cm of protrusion which would be fine. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks Tony.

The only realistic way is to cut out the section of 110 pipe housing the strap on, or take out the pipe and fit a ridding access.

The easy way is to leave the boss alone and cap the pipe. The proper way would be to cut it out and replace with pipe.

All good advice if you cut the piece of 110mm dia soil pipe including the boss you will loose about 100 mm in length you will need to be able to push the top bit up and then drop a socket in place and then pull the top bit back down into the socket applying the adhesive also make sure you get the right adhesive and the right pipe or get a universal adhesive.

Tony

joint.png this might help, only if the pipe now becomes a vent pipe, if you need the room this will do

soil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'm going to take a look to see if I can just plug it (albeit sacrifice a bit of space). Otherwise I'll be taking the section out as suggested. Many thanks.

From his artistic skills I'm thinking Happyflyer is Tony Hart from Take Hart :) :) :)

All good advice if you cut the piece of 110mm dia soil pipe including the boss you will loose about 100 mm in length you will need to be able to push the top bit up and then drop a socket in place and then pull the top bit back down into the socket applying the adhesive also make sure you get the right adhesive and the right pipe or get a universal adhesive.

Tony

View attachment 13212 this might help, only if the pipe now becomes a vent pipe, if you need the room this will do

View attachment 13213
standard slip coupling is all thats needed off with the boss and in with the coupling and slide up in place

If you can get the fitting off, as long as it is the highest point, get one of the fittings as below. Undo the jubilee clips and remove them from the rubber. Slit the rubber lengthwise and wrap around the pipe with the slit opposite to the hole and reassemble and tighten the jubille clips back around the rubber.

View attachment 13212

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removal of strap on boss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock