Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Regs/good practise on thickness of pipe lagging? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Haven't bought any for ages cos I inherited a tonne of it. Went to get some today and my merchant was offering four thicknesses for 15mm. I said it was going under floorboards on ground floor and so he recommended 19mm. I think they were 9mm, 13mm, 19mm and 25mm. What circumstances are these thickness for and are there regs on this?

the thicker the lagging the more protection from freezing there are regs covering external use it must be water proof as normal stuff will rot

I thought the difference was thicker the lagging the bigger the profit for the merchant,coz every time I get the thick stuff they seem really happy charging me a fortune and when I say just thin ,cheap stuff will do ,they look all sad and loose interest in sale :icon9:

Only regs I have heard is the insulation most be at least the thickness of the pipe, but usually only 19 mm is used by most people. If it's new build work then no excuse - it should be heavy, but if you are on 2nd hand work where pipes are too tight together, then 9mm might be best you can do. Pipes outside or unheated areas like a garage, are the important areas.

i have only seen different levels quoted in contracts we did for councils who quoted "lagging to protect to -??degree C" and then they specified what he had to use, but there must be something in a BS somewhere (i think BS6700 is a water reg)

Should be 19mm min on 22mm pipe and 25mm thick on 15mm to offer the same level of protection. It is to do with the volume of water in the pipe.
Just because it is for sale doesn't mean you can legally use it but some is better than none i suppose.

Should be 19mm min on 22mm pipe and 25mm thick on 15mm to offer the same level of protection. It is to do with the volume of water in the pipe.
Just because it is for sale doesn't mean you can legally use it but some is better than none i suppose.
Never heard that before, Tamz. I assumed volume of water didn't really matter.

As 15mm tube has less volume of water it also has less relative heat energy so will cool quicker.

Thanks Tamz. Never thought of it that way. Suppose that's just the same as a thin film water freezing quicker in winter than a heavier amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Regs/good practise on thickness of pipe lagging? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock