Search the forum,

Discuss Registering with Gas Safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

Hi,

I will be registering with Gas Safe when i start my business, (should be around April). Just wondered what the process is? I heard you get a probation period but don't know much else. Also heard they come and talk to you when you start out at your home. What do they ask you? ACS questions?

It goes without saying I have passed the ACS assessments just abit nervous about registering for the first time.

Thanks

Dont know what its like now, but most of the inspectors are x engineers and are usually nice guys who understand your nervous. Have you got much experience?

Nothing to be nervous about. It's a fairly painless procedure except the initial payment!

Your probation period is initially around three months.

When you receive your card you'll be told about this and given a sheet on which to record all your jobs.

After a couple of months you'll receive a letter from Gas Safe with an appointment for a visit from one of your local Gas Safe inspectors. Ideally you need to book three appointments with customers for whom you have already done work. He will want to see an open flued appliance/room sealed/flueless.

During this visit the inspector will ask you to carry out certain tasks (safety checks/tightness test/service.....etc.), you'll also be asked a series of questions, all of which should be pretty straightforward and similar to ACS.

I think its very informal and you shouldn't be worried if you know your stuff, the inspector will be there to help you and make sure you know what your doing.

If he's happy he'll take you off probation, if not you'll stay on and have a revisit soon after.

This is how I imagine it is anyway, from my experiences.

Good Luck!

Your probation period is initially around three months.

When you receive your card you'll be told about this and given a sheet on which to record all your jobs.

After a couple of months you'll receive a letter from Gas Safe with an appointment for a visit from one of your local Gas Safe inspectors. Ideally you need to book three appointments with customers for whom you have already done work. He will want to see an open flued appliance/room sealed/flueless.

During this visit the inspector will ask you to carry out certain tasks (safety checks/tightness test/service.....etc.), you'll also be asked a series of questions, all of which should be pretty straightforward and similar to ACS.

I think its very informal and you shouldn't be worried if you know your stuff, the inspector will be there to help you and make sure you know what your doing.

If he's happy he'll take you off probation, if not you'll stay on and have a revisit soon after.

This is how I imagine it is anyway, from my experiences.

Good Luck!

very strange post anz, why do you imagine its like that, have you had the visit are ye gas safe mate the bloke i had was a good bloke never went to town on me just made sure i new what i was doing asked me few questions and did a tightness test and gas rate in front of him and checked one of me jobs and away i went and i just make sure i do stuff right incase i get a visit in the future dont leave nothing to chance or do mates jobs /it will be ok jobs

The depth of your testing will depend on whether your a 6ww, a newbie with skills and some experience or someone with considerable skills and experience.
If you're considered competent you'll be ok, if not your probationary period will be extended but it wouldn't be a good idea to blow it twice.
MM

very strange post anz, why do you imagine its like that, have you had the visit are ye gas safe mate the bloke i had was a good bloke never went to town on me just made sure i new what i was doing asked me few questions and did a tightness test and gas rate in front of him and checked one of me jobs and away i went and i just make sure i do stuff right incase i get a visit in the future dont leave nothing to chance or do mates jobs /it will be ok jobs

My visit was like yours, he asked me to do a few things, gas rate, tightness test, burner pressure, asked a few questions, etc.

But after speaking to the inspector he said that ideally he would want to do it like I've said in my previous post. He did say that he would ask more questions if he felt that you weren't as confident or if you've a newcomer to the trade.

I suppose it depends on what he thinks of you and how confident you are.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Hi,

I will be registering with Gas Safe when i start my business, (should be around April). Just wondered what the process is? I heard you get a probation period but don't know much else. Also heard they come and talk to you when you start out at your home. What do they ask you? ACS questions?

It goes without saying I have passed the ACS assessments just abit nervous about registering for the first time.

Thanks[To be honest im in the same boat,passed acs Dec /Jan and havnt touched a gas job since,am frightened of the gas man cometh! :)

There is no set formula.
The inspector is there to asess your competence to carry out gas work based on many things.
Bear in mind that his criteria is public safety , not knocking you back.

It can be scary the 1st time,but they are not trying to catch you out.They need to know you can do what our industry have set for us.As been said they will want you to perform a let-by and soundness check,gas rating etc..

Have a stop watch when you do your tests (dont use your mobile phone).Leak detection spray etc (and cloth to wipe away after).

You will be fine,You know it,just have to let them see you know.

my last inspection lasted about 30 mins , was a fire only plave could get access to that date. done a let by test,tightness test, gas rate (and used my mobile phone), burner pressure. Was asked couple questions then off he went nothing to stressfull to be honest .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Registering with Gas Safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock