Search the forum,

Discuss Reasons for lukewarm radiator? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on potential causes of lukewarm radiator. It's a bedroom radiator (double panel, single convector). When we moved into the house just over four years ago, it just didn't get warm. Took it off, flushed it, put it back on, not really any different. Changed it for a new one (mainly for cosmetic reasons) but always been the same:

• Generally cold to faintly warm along the bottom of the radiator (both panels).
  • Warm, not hot, along the top.
  • No air in the radiator.
  • Inlet pipe is hot.

Installation:
  • Original Danfoss TRV on inlet.
  • Original lockshield valve on outlet.
  • 10mm pipework.

Other points:
  • Towel radiator in adjacent en-suite is nice and hot.
  • Radiator directly below in lounge also hot.

Any thoughts on what causes a radiator to be warm along the top but cold along the bottom? Very low flow? Too high a flow? Somewhat blocked TRV or lockshield valve? Doesn't seem to make any different if the lockshield is wound fully open or a few turns open.

House is just coming up to 20 years old, on a housing estate. Can't think it has been like this since built but suppose it could have been. Don't really want to start pulling up the floor to look at the pipework but will if I have to...

Any suggestions greatly received!
Cheers,
Pete.

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on potential causes of lukewarm radiator. It's a bedroom radiator (double panel, single convector). When we moved into the house just over four years ago, it just didn't get warm. Took it off, flushed it, put it back on, not really any different. Changed it for a new one (mainly for cosmetic reasons) but always been the same:

• Generally cold to faintly warm along the bottom of the radiator (both panels).
  • Warm, not hot, along the top.
  • No air in the radiator.
  • Inlet pipe is hot.

Installation:
  • Original Danfoss TRV on inlet.
  • Original lockshield valve on outlet.
  • 10mm pipework.

Other points:
  • Towel radiator in adjacent en-suite is nice and hot.
  • Radiator directly below in lounge also hot.

Any thoughts on what causes a radiator to be warm along the top but cold along the bottom? Very low flow? Too high a flow? Somewhat blocked TRV or lockshield valve? Doesn't seem to make any different if the lockshield is wound fully open or a few turns open.

House is just coming up to 20 years old, on a housing estate. Can't think it has been like this since built but suppose it could have been. Don't really want to start pulling up the floor to look at the pipework but will if I have to...

Any suggestions greatly received!
Cheers,
Pete.
Faulty TRV jammed almost fully closed, take valve head off gently tap pin down to see if it pops up
Make sure locksheild fully open, replace trv valve body Centralheatking

Faulty TRV jammed almost fully closed, take valve head off gently tap pin down to see if it pops up
Make sure locksheild fully open, replace trv valve body Centralheatking

Bingo! Thank you so much for that suggestion. Got a new Danfoss valve from Screwfix and swapped it over and now have a hot bedroom radiator for the first time since we’ve been here!

Here you can see the difference between how far the old pin is jammed in compared to the new one.

1BC78EB6-9986-4BCC-87AD-A3EFCF71A623.jpeg

Also water - central heating is a lazy sod & if it can find an easy route to rtn to the boiler it will take it.
I would suggest as above first that the TRV pin needs to be free to move & then if you put some tape on the non TRV side of the lounge & en-suite rads and count the turns until closed and rtn to original setting.
I always change the TRV & L/S at same time as rad replacement or if issues change both of them at same time. (does not cost too much - EG - Danfoss RAS-C2 about £20).
Then over a day or two turn the flow on these down by say 1/4 turn at a time to see what effect this has on the other rad that only gets warm.
What you are doing in essence is performing a crude system balance which then makes the central heating water flow through the cooler rad.
You should be able to find an optimum balance by doing this.
Slightly time consuming but you can do it free of charge,
Hope this helps,
Andy

Yep, bought the twin pack of TRV and L/S and pipe freeze, only when I got home did I realise the freeze can was only large enough to do one pipe :rolleyes:

So got to get another to do the L/S 😞

Thanks for the balancing tips.

Pete.

Reply to Reasons for lukewarm radiator? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock