Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator only half hot in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.

I live in Germany and have a communal heating system. The radiator and n my lounge has an entrance with TRV and then an exit (pictured). My problem is that this year only the first three bars of the radiator are getting hot. The rest get nothing g. There is no way of bleeding the radiator. If I turn the valve at the bottom to the right no water seems to flow, it seems to shut off. If I turn to the left the valve seems to open and water flows (I can hear it) but only the first three rungs get hot. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
[automerge]1577793219[/automerge]
Hi all.

I live in Germany and have a communal heating system. The radiator and n my lounge has an entrance with TRV and then an exit (pictured). My problem is that this year only the first three bars of the radiator are getting hot. The rest get nothing g. There is no way of bleeding the radiator. If I turn the valve at the bottom to the right no water seems to flow, it seems to shut off. If I turn to the left the valve seems to open and water flows (I can hear it) but only the first three rungs get hot. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0C27E818-1EEA-402E-B394-EA63F5312A2D.jpeg
    0C27E818-1EEA-402E-B394-EA63F5312A2D.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 478B3701-DAE8-408B-A2BA-F582DDB662A4.jpeg
    478B3701-DAE8-408B-A2BA-F582DDB662A4.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 5AAAC621-DACC-468E-87C3-5D32EB3E8BC5.jpeg
    5AAAC621-DACC-468E-87C3-5D32EB3E8BC5.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 16
Pretty poor way of connecting up the radiators.

The top connector may have had a spreader pipe to carry the water further along the radiator. If it did exist, its possibly corroded or come loose.

Waters dead lazy, will always take the easiest route.

Ideally the return would connect into the opposite end of radiator at the bottom.

There should be a Bleed valve at the top, opposite end to the thermostatic valve, it's not painted over is it?

Have you unscrewed the thermostatic head to see if the operating pin is stuck?

How far are you turning the bottom valve open?

Your rads are plumbed TBSE (Top & Bottom Same Ends) v/vis TBOE (Top & Bottom Opposite Ends), it might seem a bit strange but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the (theoretical) outputs, the important thing is that the hot (flow) is on the top in both cases. There certainly should be more than the first three bars getting hot. As suggested, try and locate the air vents (if fitted?) and ensure the TRV & outlet are fully open.

Last edited:
Any ideas?
Another possibility...

If it's just this radiator that has the problem, the TRV may not be opening full due to corrosion that built up while it was shut over the summer. Take the thermostatic head off the valve and see whether the operating pin moves in and out over a decent distance when depressed and released. By repeatedly pushing the pin down and releasing rapidly you may be able to free it.

You might also turn the lockshield valve (non trv) to close and open it by 1 turn this will stop the water taking the easiest route, gradually open it up 1 turn at a time to get optimum heat all accross the rad.
However if it is sludged up then the sludge will be slow/no flow region. centralheatking

Thanks to everyone that replied. Frustratingly and surprisingly there is no bleed valve on the radiator at the opposite side of to the TRV, it’s a sealed end.
I turned the non trv valve closed for a few minutes and then opened it one turn as centralheatking suggested. Eventually (after a few hours the entire rad became warm). Didn’t have the rad on yesterday but have turned it on today and it gets hot as it should do in normal time.

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Happy new year.

Reply to Radiator only half hot in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock