Discuss radiator balancing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi chaps,

It's the usual scenario.... 9 out of 10 rads all heating fine / the one which is not reaching the same temp as the others is in an upstairs bedroom. I have just spent most of today trying to get it to heat up but without much success. Some of the other upstairs rads have TRV's fitted on the return side - would this make any difference when trying to balance the system? or does it not matter and you just close or open the flow valve as you would a lockshield?

cheers

dave

most new trv are bi directional they work either on flow or return.
have you tried shutting all the other rads down to see if its a partial air lock ?
forcing all the flow through just that one rad should clear it if its an airlock or a bit of sludge restricting the flow

Hi Maul - yep - have closed all other rads down and sure this one heats up great. Thing is as soon as I open up the others it's temp drops. So definitely a balancing problem

It sounds like you need to balance the system, the radiators that are hottest can be turned down,this will push the heat to the problem radiator. Take off the cap on the lockshield valve and turn the spindle clockwise to close it,try a couple of turns to start with.You have to keep checking the radiators until they all "balance" out!

Full system powerfush would not go a miss should have a differance of 20 degrees between flow & return when balancing

... should have a difference of 20 degrees between flow & return when balancing
Not necessarily true. Some boiler work with an 11 degree difference. If you have a 20 degree difference across your radiators their output will be reduced by about 15%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to radiator balancing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently moved into my first home and after spending the winter here, I wasn’t particularly happy with the performance of the heating...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views
Our upstairs radiators were getting much hotter much quicker than down stairs. To try and balance I altered some of the lock values on the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock