Search the forum,

Discuss Quick question regarding difference in pay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfc

Have only been on a pay monthly basis since I was 16. I'm now moving onto 6 months of 'price work'. Can someone give me a brief explanation of how this works? Much appreciated thank you

Generally bend over and grease up because you are about to get shafted. You get paid a set amount per job or item in a job. If you're quick it can work out well for you but when things go wrong you end up out of pocket. Firm I used to work for paid their subbies on price work. A set amount for a boiler swap, extra for vertical flue, extra for long gas run etc.

I'm a subbie and get paid in price work and it suits me down to the ground. I think it depends what type of work your doing and ultimately what the rates are.

Im on a good rate and do work that I know will be first fix in one visit and all my work is local. I've done 9 jobs today and driven about 20 miles.

Did expect mixed reviews. The job is on one site and is new build houses so I can't see it being too much of a problem but we will see. Cheers for your responses

The backside has fell out of new build prices. Too many people trying to get the work.
have you not had a price list, first fix heating, plumbing etc. i would not start one until I had that.
that's when you take one look get in the van and drive off to Tesco shelf stacking as you are on more money.

I do price work on new build and can earn £200 a day on average. And when we are really busy I can earn anything up to £400 a day so I personally think price work on new build is still going good.

I do price work on new build and can earn £200 a day on average. And when we are really busy I can earn anything up to £400 a day so I personally think price work on new build is still going good.

The last one I looked at they were saying you can earn just over £200 per day.
the amount you had to do in 1 day was quite something, it depends on how long your day is.
i said no thanks

new build prices have dropped about 30-40% in my area, you can still make money but you do have to drop the standard of work the more they reduce prices imo.

seen it as bad as £30 a boiler, £6.50-7.00 a rad, £40 -50 a full bathroom.

if your direclty employed they can not pay you less than your contract of employment hourly rate states. So you will always get your basic rate if the price work does not work out. They should also supply all tools and site equipment etc....

give it a few weeks and im sure you will see the rewards, try and stay on first fixing as it normally pays better unless the houses are a bad design or very large.

Last edited:
be prepared to think its no good for the first week but once you get the layouts in your head it will get quicker

new build prices have dropped about 30-40% in my area, you can still make money but you do have to drop the standard of work the more they reduce prices imo.

seen it as bad as £30 a boiler, £6.50-7.00 a rad, £40 -50 a full bathroom.

if your direclty employed they can not pay you less than your contract of employment hourly rate states. So you will always get your basic rate if the price work does not work out. They should also supply all tools and site equipment etc....

give it a few weeks and im sure you will see the rewards, try and stay on first fixing as it normally pays better unless the houses are a bad design or very large.

them prices are shocking, I thought our prices were poor. Like you said aswell prices have dropped big time, we used to get about £300 to first fix a 1 bed 1 bath flat with a combi nowadays we get about £200. Still not bad as you can do two of them a day but its still a big drop compared to what it used to be.

Really, there dreadful compared to what they used to be. Hopefully they will go back up one day and I'll become a millionaire :)

this is what the new build prices are in swest
piece of sanitary £20
bath£25
boiler £60
combi£70
unvented cylinder £80
rad £7
fill up system test £20
commision£20
kitchen sink £30

First fix per meter £1

usually depends how good the site was reliabity of gear turning up and what other plumbs are trying to shaft you with the carp they have left over

Its crap really, the prices and ression competition squeezes ever last drop of blood out of ya..if you want to make decent money on new builds youve got to ruff it in as fast as possible unfortunatley. s'pose it depends where in the country you are. the midlands are dire.

I'm down in the south, we get about £78 for a bathroom, £65 for a boiler £85 for a combi, £100 for a cylinder, £11 a rad, £65 kitchen sink and so on

and people are supprised of the poor quality of the new build house's built today. when you pay tradesmen 1 days money for work that should be done in 2 to 3 days what can you expect.

if i was to buy a new build id hire a builder/clarke of my own to do visits during its construction and report any issues. Ive been on a wimpy homes job where the new home owner has brought his uncle with him to do an snagg 2 weeks before the handover and the uncle was a builder. The site agent was so embarrassed when they went through the property. A total of over 5 A4 pages of snaggs and all the walls had been covered in pencil brought by the uncle to highlight the faults in the walls etc.....

it took about 3 weeks to put it right.

Last edited:
Shouldn't use pencil to mark on the walls for defects, painters reckon paint doesn't go over it well. You should just use a bit of copper tube :)

Fast doesn't have to mean rough. Obviously helps if using plastic pipe for first fix but I was on a new build site leading up to Xmas last year and I was clearing a grand most weeks, never less than £800 take home and most days didn't work past 3. Was too dark lol

I was on price work for about 4 years. I was the only person on my firm on price at one point but got fed up of gear not coming out and asked to go back on daywork with a pay rise, they said no. I quit, phone call next day saying they will pay me what I'm after. These were the pricespiece of sanitary £15
bath£15
boiler £35
combi£50
unvented cylinder £65
rad £6
pressure test £25
commision£20
kitchen sink £24
downspout £5
gutter a house £15
soilpipe £15
gas hob £10
connect gas meter £5
most first fixes were 3 bed and for a combi first fix we'd get about £210, north west area. I was/am rapid but i had to be with those prices. A lot of the problem was there were many little jobs that we didn't get a price for, which did my head in. I used to enjoy it as well. I actually enjoyed breaking my back, the day flew by. Nowadays i chill out haha

That's part of the reason I love working hard on price, you know you've actually early your money, done a good days work and it makes the day fly past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick question regarding difference in pay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock