Search the forum,

Discuss Quick one Re Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ladies/Gents,

I'd appreciate some advice myself on this one! Went to a inset gas fire today to do a service. Took the fire out of the brick chimney and noticed the flue liner and insulation stuffed all round the sides. No closure plate around the bottom of the flue liner nor connection from the flue liner to the fire. Manufacturer's instructions state the fire can only be fitted into a chimney with a flue liner if there is a closure plate and an adaptor connecting between the letterbox in the top of the fire and the flue liner.

Rather worringly when I spoke to the customer at this point, the previous guy who did the last service never even took the fire out to check the chimmey...

I did a spillage test and not surprisingly smoke started coming back out of the chimney around the top of the fire!! Removed the fire and capped it off as we couldn't get an adaptor to go onto the flue liner for that fire anymore. Only other practical option was to fit it in a flue box and by the time we've fitted that and refitted the fire we may as well fit a nice new one.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of fire for me to fit? Customer is selling the house so middle of the market would be good, nothing too cheap and nothing too expensive ideally! I've actually never bought a gas fire for a customer before so wouldn't even know the best place to get one either! All I ever seem to do these days is remove them when they fail services for various reasons!

B&Q do an inset valor around the £150, easy fit into builders opening, don't look bad and you don't need an adaptor( I hope)
Look ok, if it's being sold new owners will probably change anyway

Thanks! I'm assuming it still needs a closure plate fitted though and not a flue liner stuck 6" or so out through some loft insulation :)

How easy is fitting a closure plate when the liner is already down the chimney? Literally never fitted one, always a job for a builder in my eyes but need to fit one to help this lady out :)

Will be a bit of a struggle but it can be done, believe it or not the rock wool insulation stuffed up the chimney was a quite acceptable method at one time.

However the fact it is quite old the liner should be changed, you don't know what condition it is in. Unless you have a friendly sweep who can do a camera inspection first.

I've found a flue box that will fit the opening so am going to find an inset fire I can fit into it. Seems to be the best thing to do for me.

I have a chimney sweep I work with so am going to tap him up to check the liner for me.

Gas fires seem to be the cause of more gas safety issues than anything else I look at to be honest!

Beware, The flue liner really has to be re-newed if a new fire is to be installed. the life span of a flue liner is the same as the fire. So an old liner on a new fire is going to fail well before the fire does! So best practice and very strongly advised is to change both at the same time. Don't take the risk mate change both or for the cheapest quickest option simply remove and fit an electric fire. but leave the gas line there for an option of the new owners to have a gas fire installed at a later date if so desired.

We did look at fitting an electric fire but the nearest socket to spur off is 2 walls away and it would either mean a right mess of trunking or redecorating. The lady has just sold the house so wants a solution that involves minimal disruption :(

We did look at fitting an electric fire but the nearest socket to spur off is 2 walls away and it would either mean a right mess of trunking or redecorating. The lady has just sold the house so wants a solution that involves minimal disruption :(

cant you just cap the fire and leave it ?

Nah, it needs to be sorted mate. The buyer asked her for the gas fire and boiler to have a service certificate as part of the sale :/

Nah, it needs to be sorted mate. The buyer asked her for the gas fire and boiler to have a service certificate as part of the sale :/

cant you just say the fires failed? else dont think the old owner will have change for about 1-2k

Can do I guess but it will only throw up problems for her with the buyer. Will probably suggest fitting an electric one. She wasn't keen on it though because it will involve a fair amount of trunking on show which the buyer probably won't like.

Also didn't check today whether she has RCD protection for extending wiring to an electric fire either, in which case that option could get expensive too.

Will speak to her tomorrow and suggest options.

Can do I guess but it will only throw up problems for her with the buyer. Will probably suggest fitting an electric one. She wasn't keen on it though because it will involve a fair amount of trunking on show which the buyer probably won't like.

depends how old it is more than 8 years i would replace

I would also replace the liner. Had this conversation with a customer about 5 months ago. She had me in to quote for a new fire and I said that the liner needs Changing. She wasn't having none of it and said that she had 2 other engineers out that said nothing about a new liner. How can I soar like an Eagle, when I'm surrounded by dodo's:D:p:p

Cheers all. With the cost of the flue liner we are fitting an electric fire instead. Suddenly a bit of trunking over the skirting board isn't so much of an issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick one Re Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock