Search the forum,

Discuss Question about moving a drain line. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have two separate 4" drain pipes that my fixtures connect to, and I want to move 2 fixtures to the other pipe.

Here is a diagram of the situation. Everything is in the crawlspace, and everything is vertical except for the 2 drain pipes, and the line I want to move.

Untitsfdsfdled.png

Will this work? If so, where should I connect the line I want to move?

Thanks for any help. Location is Arkansas.

It shouldn't be an issue because the fixtures on drain 1 are vented and going into a 4" drain - presumably vented also.
Distances may / could be a problem, so I would run the 4" drain to as close as practicable to the fixtures on drain 1

Thanks Oz. I might not have explained it clearly... the 4" drains (marked 1 and 2) are not moving, I just want to move the 1 1/2" sink 1/washer line from drain 1 to drain 2.

The only difference with the final configuration will be that I dont believe drain 2 has a vent, and I wanted to make sure that introducing the vent from the washer line into it would disrupt anything. I wouldn't think so, but wanted to double check.

Also, what would be the best place to introduce that line into drain 2? On the end where the toilet is?
[automerge]1590004562[/automerge]
Here's a more concise diagram for what I want to do:

2020-05-20 14_51_54-Untitsfdsfdled.png - Paint.png

Last edited:
Here's a more concise diagram for what I want to do:
In my opinion, before making such a change, it's always worth wondering why the current system was done that way in the first place.

As it stands, Drain 1 appears to be 'greywater' only and Drain 2 appears to be 'backwater'. You might want to check whether this separation is coincidental or whether the drains go to separate destinations, e.g. a septic tank for blackwater and a reed-bed filter or conservation system for greywater.

In my opinion, before making such a change, it's always worth wondering why the current system was done that way in the first place.

As it stands, Drain 1 appears to be 'greywater' only and Drain 2 appears to be 'backwater'. You might want to check whether this separation is coincidental or whether the drains go to separate destinations, e.g. a septic tank for blackwater and a reed-bed filter or conservation system for greywater.

Hey Chuck, thx for the input.

Drain 1 was original to the house, built in the late 60's, and toilet 1 was attached to it, along with kit/bat sink and tub.

In '79 they remodeled the house, and installed drain 2 (added a washer to drain 1 and moved the toilet/bath sink to drain 2).

My mom likes to tell the story about how drunk some of the remodelers were, so who knows how much planning they did, hah (although those guys might not have worked on the plumbing).

Both drains initially went into a septic tank, and eventually they got hooked to the city sewer.

I've been doing some reading on venting, and it seems like the safety concerns would be traps draining and letting sewer odor up, and/or slow draining/backup. I figure any of those issues would be quite noticeable, and if they arise, I can either figure out a venting solution, or just move it back.

Both drain pipes are within 8' of each other, so it wouldn't take much work to move it back if I have issues.

Reply to Question about moving a drain line. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock