Discuss Puzzling leak from toilet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello again, we have cut some flooring up and found the leak! It's on a compression fitting just under floorboards....not sure why it stopped when we removed toilet yesterday....now to try and fix it..

As mentioned above, I expect that when the toilet was connected it put some strain on the pipework and opened a leak on a "just about sealed" compression fitting. With the toilet disconnected the pipework was able to relax a bit, just enough to stop the leak. It's amazing the weird stuff fittings and water can do at times.

I've seen fittings that were fluxed but missed at the point of soldering not leak for years, held together by the dried on flux. I've touch the pipe and it's fallen apart and started leaking.

I hope you've managed to sort your leak out and all is back to normal by now or at least on its way.

I've seen fittings that were fluxed but missed at the point of soldering not leak for years, held together by the dried on flux. I've touch the pipe and it's fallen apart and started leaking.

I’ve had that on a gas fitting once :eek::eek::eek:, it wasn’t mine before anyone says :p

Why does that happen, I'v found three in the last two years in house's I'v bought for renovation, quite perplexing, Oh yes this is in France, so think its not just British plumbers? or is it? ;)

Why does that happen, I'v found three in the last two years in house's I'v bought for renovation, quite perplexing, Oh yes this is in France, so think its not just British plumbers? or is it? ;)

Typical reason is a lot of plumbers must be fluxing and pushing on the pipes more than one solder fitting before heating and soldering them all.
Therefore very easy to forget about an unsoldered connector a few few away from a soldered tee, etc.
I generally solder each fitting before pushing another together

I did it on a gas pipe once. Luckily it was outside but as best said. I pieced the whole run together. Soldered a few fittings, got talking, soldered a few more. Tightness test held up that evening but following day. Sunshine direct on pipe, expansion happened and joint started leaking. Only done it once and that once was enough to learn to flux and solder as I go.

Reply to Puzzling leak from toilet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs...
Replies
Views
I have a vanity basin and concealed cistern toilet to install. In place if a wall hung basin and toilet in a down stairs cloak room. The only...
Replies
Views
Hi guys So a bit of a dilemma Normal WC Unit height 766mm which is around the average mark. quite alot of bogs lets say the flush pipe center...
Replies
Views
There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock