Search the forum,

Discuss putting carpets back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
How do you guys do it? I have had enough of using a hammer and chisel and am thinking of getting a knee kicker to dp the job. I think toolstation has one for around £40. Anyone got one?

I just use a screwdriver. Knees are bad enough without using one of them knee things :) After all im a pipe monkey not a carpet monkey.:)

tell the custard to get a carpet fitter in the quote.

No, surely you don't do that?

I got a copy of a british gas quote which in their terms and conditions it stated that a theird party must replace the floor boards. I couldne believe it

The best bet is to get in contact with a local carpet fitter and add the cost to the quote, I think customers like the idea of a carpet fitter putting the carpets back down "properly" as it shows a bit more respect to their property, and it's the last thing on my mind after an install when I'm trying to clear up and clear out to get the carpets down properly,

why not, I trained as a plumber, if its a corner of carpet not an issue, tap tap tap, if the whole carpet is rolled back then customer is responsible for sorting it out if need be, I dont want to be accused of overstretching a £4k carpet.

I see where you guys are coming from but, I thought it would be nice for the client if you could do it without them having to get another trades person in. I donhate doing it and it is never as good as it was before.

I see where you guys are coming from but, I thought it would be nice for the client if you could do it without them having to get another trades person in. I donhate doing it and it is never as good as it was before.

so you cant relay a carpet decently as you say so why try and get hassle doing so

The carpets I encounter are the ones where you lift them up fold them over and they turn to dust.

why not, I trained as a plumber, if its a corner of carpet not an issue, tap tap tap, if the whole carpet is rolled back then customer is responsible for sorting it out if need be, I dont want to be accused of overstretching a £4k carpet.

Haha lame how unlucky can we be, I've never had to investigate one of the guys damaging a £100 carpet, they are always £50 m2, and when you visit, it's been chucked out, and the total value of the rest of all the house carpets doesn't even add up to £50 never mind £50 m2

Include your guy in your price, and make a few quid on top, (and it means you also get your own carpets fitted for free)

I write in the quote that I will relay the carpets within reason and if the custard thinks it needs to be done better then it's down to them to employ a carpet fitter.

Some carpets fall to dust as soon as you touch them!

I write in the quote that I will relay the carpets within reason and if the custard thinks it needs to be done better then it's down to them to employ a carpet fitter.

Some carpets fall to dust as soon as you touch them!

I believe I shall be adding this to my quotes

No, surely you don't do that?

I got a copy of a british gas quote which in their terms and conditions it stated that a theird party must replace the floor boards. I couldne believe it

In practice the BG engineer lifts the carpets and floor boards and replaces them too

Stretch back using your shoes. Hammer down edges onto grip strips. Tuck down edges with bolster.

You'd never know they'd been up.

If you start putting on extras like carpet fitters, surely you'll price out of jobs in these price sensitive times.
I re lay all my own, but tell them if my best isn't good enough they'll have to pay to,get some one in. Obviously not as blunt as that, but you get the jist.

Got a kicker, only use it on some jobs most of the time you can stretch it back in by hand. Make sure u adjust the teeth for the carpet pile. !! Oh and keep 200mm from edge as on some older ones it splits

I have a very good mate who's a carpet fitter. If carpet doesn't go down I have a contact. It's good to know people. I fact that's why i like to Facebook so much. Really helps you broaden your contacts and it's all about having friends in the right places when your in the poo

I have a very good mate who's a carpet fitter. If carpet doesn't go down I have a contact. It's good to know people. I fact that's why i like to Facebook so much. Really helps you broaden your contacts and it's all about having friends in the right places when your in the poo

I am the total opposite of you mate. I don't like people. I hate people knowing my business and am happy to be left to ones self. Unfortunately it is not a good business strategy. My wife has started to sign me up to all these networking sites like Facebook and linked in, and now I am getting all these strange folk contacting me and it's freaking me out!!

I just inform cust that I can't guarantee carpets as works we do is very intrusive ,balls in custs court then.

I am the total opposite of you mate. I don't like people. I hate people knowing my business and am happy to be left to ones self. Unfortunately it is not a good business strategy. My wife has started to sign me up to all these networking sites like Facebook and linked in, and now I am getting all these strange folk contacting me and it's freaking me out!!

Fair play mate. If we were all the same.......

I couldn't care less what people know or don't know about me. I used to be quite bothered about what people thought when I was younger. You could say insecure. I always worried I wouldn't fit in.

Now I couldn't give a flying foooook what people think of me. I'm not a bad lad and I do my best to be nice so anyone opinions of me that arnt nice, I really don't care.
Life is way too short. I like to rub my awesomeness in people's faces when I get the feeling they don't like me being how I am.

I'm not one of the sheeple lol
(And I am not saying you are, I'm just describing myself that's all)

Fair play mate. If we were all the same.......

I couldn't care less what people know or don't know about me. I used to be quite bothered about what people thought when I was younger. You could say insecure. I always worried I wouldn't fit in.

Now I couldn't give a flying foooook what people think of me. I'm not a bad lad and I do my best to be nice so anyone opinions of me that arnt nice, I really don't care.
Life is way too short. I like to rub my awesomeness in people's faces when I get the feeling they don't like me being how I am.

I'm not one of the sheeple lol
(And I am not saying you are, I'm just describing myself that's all)

Well in feller. I always thought I was cool when I was younger. Well up until 25. Always out partying and tings. Then at 25 all changed. I got tired of it all and now I prefer just to chill at home, on me own with a bottle of wine and browsing this forum. Simple life really

I had to laugh at this post. I used to feel like this, a lot. I used to be the most confident person when I was younger (I'm 37 now), but now life has kicked me a few times and left me a tad unconfident. Some days are good, some are bad. I just roll with it. On the bad days I just carry on regardless knowing that tomorrow will be better. Either that or the single malt helps while diving into this forum and chatting with you lovely people ;)

When i was younger i was a feather splitter special. Now ive went a bit more advanced with a kicker and plate set.

When i was younger i was a feather splitter special. Now ive went a bit more advanced with a kicker and plate set.

What's the best/easiest method of lifting carpet, Kris?

If its really down tight on gripper i use a really thin flat head screwdriver. (Thinnest ive got) and go to an internal corner and put driver through carpet and pull up. Or if its being lifted from under a door threshold then lift the bar and lift from there. Just remember when folding back always try and roll it and never stand on it when rolled as can cause creases.

If its really down tight on gripper i use a really thin flat head screwdriver. (Thinnest ive got) and go to an internal corner and put driver through carpet and pull up. Or if its being lifted from under a door threshold then lift the bar and lift from there. Just remember when folding back always try and roll it and never stand on it when rolled as can cause creases.

Nice one. Cheers Kris ;) How's it going up sunny Scotland? Just 'liked' your page by the way..

Cheers jay much appreciated. Yeh really sunny up here today. Bare belly weather so im try get the milk bottle tan to dissapear. Im cuttin wetwall outside so get a wee tan at same time. Lucky the custards away shed run a mile. Hehe

Cheers jay much appreciated. Yeh really sunny up here today. Bare belly weather so im try get the milk bottle tan to dissapear. Im cuttin wetwall outside so get a wee tan at same time. Lucky the custards away shed run a mile. Hehe

Haha either that or crack on to ya! ;) Why are customers called custards? Just a nickname? Love it :)

I'll probably get ridiculed for this but I made my own carpet lifting tool out of a fork :)
It's a fork flattened out then the last cm or so of the prongs bent at a right angle, I just press the prongs down along the skirting, then lift the fork so the bent part of the prongs go under the carpet and lift. It has never failed me.
There are probably tools that you can pay £££'s for that do the same job but I've never needed them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to putting carpets back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock