Search the forum,

Discuss Proper term for this tool? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello! I'm Canadian so you may wonder what I'm doing on a UK plumbing forum. I'm basically just here to learn the British term for a tool that I've seen recommended in American plumbing videos. As you probably don't know, Canada has a curious mix of terminologies at times and sometimes we use the American term for something and other times we use the British term for something. (I've actually seen car repair manuals in this country that list both the American and British terms for things so that the manual is useful to Americans, Brits. AND Canadians. But I digress....)

I am strongly considering replacing a shutoff valve for a toilet in the basement since it can't be turned any more, making it useless. American videos I have seen recommend using a compression shutoff valve for the replacement and those videos show a tool called a "compression sleeve puller" (or "ferrule puller" in another video) that is highly recommended for removing the old compression fitting. Unfortunately, when I look for these tools at Canadian plumbing supply websites, I can't find ANY such tools listed. I suspect this is a case where we use the British term for the tool but I have no idea what the British term actually IS. I'm hoping someone here can help.

This video illustrates a "compression sleeve puller" starting at 2:37:
Can anyone advise me on the British name for this tool?

As you may realise, Shaun typed "Olive" but spellchecker did its work!

The bodge technique used by those of us who don't have an "Olive Puller" is to use a junior hacksaw to CAREFULY cut diagonally nearly through the olive, while not cutting as far as, or marking, the pipe, and then stick a screwdriver in the slot formed and twist it to snap the olive open, Simples. 🤪. No olive puller required!

Or leave the olive on the pipe, replace the valve with another with the same thread, and use the original nut. May need cleaning up.

I Use this type of olive cutter/removing tool.
1659509367647.png

I used to use my hacksaw blade but an olive cutter/puller is now a standard toolbox item and well worth having.
Altho I still often try to 'hammer' them off with my adjustable spanner.
Same here. There are times you just cannot use a hacksaw and times you just cannot pull it. Nice to have the option though.

The 1969 Readers' Digest DIY Manual calls olives 'slip rings', by the way. Never used the term used outside of that book, but then perhaps it is an age thing?

Reply to Proper term for this tool? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock