Discuss Problems since new hot water tank installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mousemole

Please bear with me, I'm a newbie and female to boot !
Anyway I recently had a larger capacity hot water tank installed to replace the 25 year old one.
Since it has been installed I've had a host of problems..
1) shower pressure has dropped dramatically and splutters
2) If I now have the heating on in the day there is no hot water at the end of the day.Seems the hot water sand heating no longer work when both on
3) the radiator no longer works in the bathroom
4) today ( 4 weeks after installation) the washing machine stopped taking water in. Spoke to an engineer who asked if I'd had plumbing work done recently. I said yes and he said there was probably 'debris in the system' that is blocking the washing machine pipe.
I could scream! What's going on ? Plumber wwho did the work doesn't want to know :(
sny help or insights really appreciated.

You've had a service that you've paid for. You have consumer rights. Your plumber has to want to know.

Sounds like apartial airlock in the hot water side of things. The radiator in the bathroom is either shut or needs bleeding, its hard to diagnose without seeing the system. You need to get the plumber back to rectify the problem.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if it makes any difference but the system runs on oil. Plumber makes out all these issues are a coincidence. I feel that I so lacking in knowledge about it all so hoping for some ideas on here that I can give back to him to show I have a little understanding !

Oil is irrelevant. It's just the medium used to heat. Ask him to return or tell him that you'll get a company in to review what's been done and if it turns out he's at fault then you'll proceed with other action. At least give him the chance I'd say.
You don't need to pretend you know something that you don't. That will be obvious to anyone from the off, but just know your rights.

The problem you have now is you have lost confidence in the plumber. If he is not willing to at least to come back and try to fix the faults, then i think you should seek a second opinion.

Do you have any ideas why the hot water and central heating no longer work when both on ? So, when on individually they work, but on together means no hot water.

Number 4 on your list is a bit odd - as most washing machines just work on cold water, but then it could be from a very big tank in your loft.

The plumber that did the work how did you find him ? Is it a reputable company ?

Yes the cold water tank is in the loft.. Could this affect the washing machine ? He was recommended by a friend who is having him install a new heating in her house. MrDrip do you have any idea why the heating and hot water no longer work when on together ?

As said 1-3 sound as a direct result of the new tank and are either air / debris most likely. no 4 unlikely to be anything to do with the tank installation as will be mains fed. As said you need to get him back.

bathroom rad will have been piped to the hot water part of the circuit originally. its not that uncommon. sounds like this is now not working due to an airlok possibly.

I wonder if this is a Gravity system with a heatleak rad in the bathroom. And there is a big airlock somewhere although it works on it's own which is odd. Shower sounds like an airlock in the new hot water supply if you have a mixer in the kitchen you can try and put your hand over the outlet turn on the hot then carefully and slowly the cold this will push maines up the hot supply clearing any air locks. be carefull with this as you can get wet try it for 10 seconds at a time and then check the shower in between.

Best advice though is get someone in and tell your friend all about this. Even if it is a co-incidence he should come back and demonstrate that to you satisfaction. The washing maching may well be tank fed unless it's in the kitchen (I had one in a utility that was tank fed once) made the assumption it was mains incorrectly. Again he ought to demonstrate to your satisfaction all is well. Any decent plumber would do that. If he fits heating for your friend and the boiler fails what he going to do? Id be worrying if I was your friend.

Plumber is back, trying to rectify things. With regards to the spluttering shower he is trying to tell me I need a new pump! When I run the cold only on the shower it is powerful and how it used to be on hot. When I now turn it to hot it loses power and starts spluttering. The shower is quite a long way from the new hot water tank.

Air lock i'm sure. Possible pump but very unlikely especially on one leg e.g the hot side.

Sorry had to go. It wil be on the feed side so as I explained earlier by using the mixer. But he should know where it is and be able to address it. good luck.

Try taking the head of the end of the shower hose and put the hose in the bath and run the shower, this may get rid of your airlock

Garyplumb thank you. It's a fixed head shower so can't do this I think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems since new hot water tank installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock