Discuss Power Flushing - Yes or No in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heat Kent

Help & advice for a newbie RE power flushing...

From what I can gather there is an "associated document" to Part L of the Building Regulations, called the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide, which states that "central heating systems should be thoroughly cleaned and flushed out before installing a new boiler" (It’s a pretty boringread). With this being a guide and considering the use of the word “should” I assume there is no “legal” requirement. However, boiler manufacturers require you to follow this guide in order to validate their warrantee? This is a flush and clean, but not necessarily a power flush right?

However, if you type into Google “minimum requirement power flush” you’ll see that there are load of Power Flush companies who have the standard line “Power Flushing is the new minimum standard” implying that it is something you must have done.

I have been installing boilers (with someone who has his gas) and we simply drain the system, put a TF1 on the return, put a lime scale reducer on the cold feed and add an inhibiter when we refill. I’m new to plumbing and am finding all of your advice and help very useful and want to make sure I do everything correctly going forward. So please jump in and give your views, experiences and opinions. I’m leaning towards buying a Kamco CF90.

Thanks in advance.

It would also concern me using power flushing on microboresystems and plastic pipework with pushfit fittings. If the valves/fittings areold and corroded will they start to leak if interrupted?

Just draining, fitting a TF1 and adding inhibitor is insufficient. The bare minimum required is a chemical cleanse.

Just draining, fitting a TF1 and adding inhibitor is insufficient. The bare minimum required is a chemical cleanse.

That seems to be the general consensus, but do you do thisseveral days prior to flushing and let the system run or in and out in one/twodays? Also do you power flush or just rinse through? Can you power flush plasticpipes?

Thanks

A lot of council boiler changes are done in a day. Y plan out, combi in. A case of drain system, do swop then add inhibiter and fill. No time to power flush and not expected to. (So I've heard).

A lot of council boiler changes are done in a day. Y plan out, combi in. A case of drain system, do swop then add inhibiter and fill. No time to power flush and not expected to. (So I've heard).

Most leave x400 in the system an then have a different engineer come round, drain it an refill with x100

Not on the councils I've worked for. There'd be x400 in the system for months with the access rate being so poor.

the fact is that he is right, there is no legal requiremen in the building regs, but it is a manufacturer requirement, which then becomes a legal requirement as manufacturers instruction have more power then british standards so should be done.

But there is no clear fact on what sort of cleanse it is. could we just put x800 in the f and e? could we do a full powerflush?
what precedents a cleanse is debatable but we all know that not many people do it due to time and cost, but we should all be doing it.

It is not a manu requirement either as they point you to BS7593

Here is what it says there if you don't have it

5.2 Cleansing and flushing methodologies
There are three cleansing and flushing options, one of which should be applied.
1) Mechanically-assisted powered cleanse and flush (powerflushing) (see 5.3).
2) Mains pressure cleanse and flush for sealed systems and open-vented systems with the feed and vent temporarily capped-off (see 5.4).
3) Cleanse and flush using gravity, with the assistance of a circulator pump (see 5.5).

Powerflushing is most effective as this produces a more thorough clean, but the boiler manufacturer’s instructions should be checked to
establish whether powerflushing is acceptable. Powerflushing is the most effective method of cleansing existing systems, especially those
containing a high level of black magnetite sludge.
With all methodologies, reversing the flow will help to remove debris which might otherwise remain trapped.
An appropriate cleanser should be chosen. (Refer to manufacturers’ instructions.) The following factors should be taken into account:
a) the reason for cleaning;
b) the system materials, e.g. aluminium;
c) the age and condition of the system;
d) any specific problems identified;
e) any local restrictions on disposal of the effluent.
Hot flushing is more effective than cold flushing, but the cleanser
manufacturer’s instructions should be followed.

try sticking an extra £300 - 400 on your boiler quotes for a powerflush and see how many jobs you get :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power Flushing - Yes or No in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock