Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing with no sense of smell...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DWStone

Hi, first time poster on the forum - I am considering undertaking the 6129 plumbing course with a view primarily to learn a new skill, but perhaps looking at domestic plumbing as a career further down the line and possibly going on to do the 6189 NVQ diploma.

However, I have absolutely no sense of smell whatsoever, never have had one!

What I would like to know - is a keen sense of smell a prerequisite for a plumber?

I can imagine that it is very important for someone looking to work with gas, however, (apologies here, I have no experience in this trade at all) is it possible to have a career as a plumber without working with gas?

Any help, thoughts, suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

yes you can successfully work as a plumber without working on gas. i do.
oh and welcome to the forums.

I can't see that it would hold you back, might even be a benefit on some jobs!!!

There used to be a requirement for gas eng to have a sense of smell. But nowadays we have so many has sniffers and dectectors that you don't have to have a sense of smell

I envy you. When I was working on the drains I would have givern anything not to have a sense of smell. Welcome to the forum

A sense of smell or a colour deficiency is not a problem at all in any building trade as long as the individual has had training and guidance as to recognise the inability.
ps don't think plumbing will earn you a decent wage anytime soon you have no experience

you dont need a sense of smell as said it would be a benefit in some of the minging gaffs we have to work in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing with no sense of smell...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
I’m at a loss with this one. We renovated a run down house and have lived in it now for about 16 months. We had a new Greenstar 8000 Style 35 installed. Just before Christmas - about 12 months after install - we came home to a funny smell like paint, shoe polish etc - a very chemical smell...
Replies
Views
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in London/Essex area, full driving licence. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. looking for a change in my career and get into the the domestic plumbing world. I have 6 years experience working with commercial boilers, with skills...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am a junior plumber based in South East London (Zone 1), but can get to most areas quite easily. In terms of Qualifications I have completed level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating with 1 years experience working as an emergency response engineer primarily carrying out maintenance...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock