Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Plumbing Training - Distance Learning...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark-Eagle

HI all

I'm a plasterer come general builder and I've been learning plumbing "on the job" so to speak for a couple of years, fitting kitchens/bathrooms etc etc. even so far as fitting an entire Air Source Heat Pump system recently, all with the guidance of my plumbing mate.

My goal is to eventually become a plumber, full stop.

What I want to know is, is there a decent "Distance Learning" course available? I figure I get plenty of "hands on" training on site, and would like to supplement this by increasing my own knowledge of the trade.

Being the best part of 50, I don't want to waste my time on a course that gives me no qualifications that are "recognised". So something City & Guilds, with some NVQ stuff added on (or you can add on) would be ideal (I think!).

Thanks for reading!

Mark

HI all

Being the best part of 50, I don't want to waste my time on a course that gives me no qualifications that are "recognised". So something City & Guilds, with some NVQ stuff added on (or you can add on) would be ideal (I think!).

Thanks for reading!

Mark

Mark, you need to understand qualifications to begin with. NVQs are C&Gs. city and guilds is just an awarding body, they offer tech certs and nvqs. tech certs will cease to be at the end of the month and the only qual avaiable will be the nvq, it will be called 6189 nvq diploma offered by city and guilds, EAL and possibly bpec eventually.

You are better taking to colleges, i suspect you will have to do an apprenticeship which includes the full qual, acs and english and maths to get a full apprenticeship framework.
alternatives are to go to a private centre but i know somebody who spent £7.5k for the job lot and had to pay lots of extras taking him to £14.5k, and he has only got the tech cert because he cannot get the evidence. make sure you read the small print, a college will offer you the recognised framework not just the quick quals;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Training - Distance Learning...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock