Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Well this week I'm mostly bored but don't worry, you won't be seeing much of me on here for the next 5 weeks. Work's about to get mad again.

I've hit on this in a few posts over the last week or so and wondered what everyone's thoughts were on this.

Do you think the existing plumbing qualifications out there are worth the paper they are written on? In just 3 years in the industry people are only interested in experience it seems.

Would making the exams/courses more difficult be of benefit to the industry?

Debate opened!

it's not so much making the courses and exams more difficult, but harder to get onto the courses in the first place or limit the numbers so as to not flood the industry. should be more to it than if you can afford the course. what about aptitude tests or the like.

and why not do something similar to the ACS where to work as a plumber you have to be re-assessed every so often ?

can't believe I just wrote that - I don't work for a training centre honest !

It never really ever has been about qualifications. It has always been more a where have you worked what have you done thing. Saying that, up here most plumbers have a snijib card which depending on the colour shows your grade (for rates of pay) and most bigger firms will ask for it but, whether or not you get a start it will be down to experience.
A lot of (probably most) older plumbers never had any formal qualifications as it had to be done at night school and most never bothered. Instead they were graded by their employer and received a grade card.
Everyone who has done a recognised apprenticeship can get a card if you contact the snijib in Scotland and NI or the jib in England and Wales. Don't know how it would go for those who have done courses.

I'm a jib cscs gold card holder which i get asked for on big sites so i suppose it counts for something doing an apprenticeship .End of the day tho training centers and college want money so they will just motor on reghardless flooding the industry with allsorts of idiots and as i stated before its the domestic homeowner i feel sorry for getting duped to letting these nutters loose in there homes.

Well, Im a gold cscs card holder but its no a jib card. I served my time in the merchant navy, came out worked in facilities engineering, commercial gas and domestic gas. I'm not a plumber, don't claim to be and never will as I didn't serve my time. One thing that does rip my knitting though, is the fact that I cant join SNIPEF as I don't hold a recognised plumbing qualification. What makes it even more funny is that I'm a full member of CIPHE, got my domestic & commercial ACS, unvented ticket, water byelaws, energy efficiency, GSHP & ASHP, I live in Scotland, work in Scotland and would probably take an apprentice on but I dont see the point, especially as it may invalidate a would be apprentice's training.
I agree that you can have all the qualifications in the world but it doesn't stop you making a mess of things if you don't have experience.

Well, Im a gold cscs card holder but its no a jib card. I served my time in the merchant navy, came out worked in facilities engineering, commercial gas and domestic gas. I'm not a plumber, don't claim to be and never will as I didn't serve my time. One thing that does rip my knitting though, is the fact that I cant join SNIPEF as I don't hold a recognised plumbing qualification. What makes it even more funny is that I'm a full member of CIPHE, got my domestic & commercial ACS, unvented ticket, water byelaws, energy efficiency, GSHP & ASHP, I live in Scotland, work in Scotland and would probably take an apprentice on but I dont see the point, especially as it may invalidate a would be apprentice's training.
I agree that you can have all the qualifications in the world but it doesn't stop you making a mess of things if you don't have experience.

I dont know where that rant came from?? Must have been due to working in the attic yesterday! lol

by your own admission you are not a plumber, you also dont hold any plumbing quals, why would you be angry at not being able to register with SNIPEF?

Because they don't distinguish between "Plumber" and "Heating Engineer". Im not that angry, just a bit disappointed that, unlike the CIPHE, there doesnt seem to be a distinction.

You don't necessarily need quals to join SNIPEF but without them you wouldn't be able to take advantage of some of the schemes on offer such as ACC.

http://www.snipef.org/become_licenced/documents/MEMBERSHIPCRITERIA2009_000.pdf

but as they are a plumbing federation they obviously want proof you meet certain stds and also the approval of your peers to a certain extent. It is different from the ciphe in that it is solely for employers the same as the APHC in England.
A bit more to it than simply paying your money and you're in.

Is it worth joining SNIPEF if your a one man band ? would be looking at employing an apprentice in the long run no doubt but not at the moment

Depends what type of work you do if it will be of any benefit. Probably quite expensive if you don't really need it.

do you have heating engineer quals?
Well, Ive got an HND in Engineering, gained in 1989. As I said I served an apprenticeship as a Marine Engineer which encompassed a lot of things, applied heat, fluid mechanics etc.
My gold card states Building Services Engineering - Service & Maintenance Engineer, Ive spent a lot of time working in Building services / Facilities. It was during this time I sat my ACS for Domestic & Commercial.
Im currently self employed and have spent the last 7 years building up my business, mainly heating stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum plus an additional £2,500 Recruitment and Retention Premium and relocation funding if needed We are looking to recruit Lecturers in Plumbing to deliver...
Replies
Views
I want to start off by saying that I have never worked in a construction environment in my entire life, so I am very unknowledge in this area. I have only worked at a coffee shop for 5 years of my life. I am currently doing a Plumbing L2 and next year will start an NVQ L2. For the NVQ I will...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, It's been an overwhelming & difficult year for me last year... so moving forward I have decided to change b.usiness industry. I have two plumbing web.sites and instead of wasting them (as I won't be using them anymore), I'm willing to give them away to someone who will benefit, so if...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of Maidstone who has recently decided to retrain with the hope of eventually starting a career in the domestic plumbing and heating industry (looking to get...
Replies
Views
Vacancies within our Plumbing Team at City College Norwich Full time, £23.789 - £34,606 per annum dependant on appointment An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the City College Norwich Apprenticeships Team. Due to rising Industry demand we currently have vacancies for full time posts...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock